Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The house next door...or how to NOT build a house

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    On our new house, we found out we have to stay in California until July 3rd so we get a huge tax exemption on selling this old house. Two neighbors and the contractor of The Pit have all expressed interest in it. We'd favor the neighbors as the contractor said he'd just tear this down for another pit.

At the new house they said we have a cat, the guys have been feeding one since they started. Maybe it will wander off when they finish and before we get there.

New house pictures here:
    https://durandinterstellar.com/photos/Our_New_Home/

And for anyone interested, here's a drive through town from my dash camera in July 2018. I had one person ask how I could stand to drive there, there are PITS on the sides of the road without guard rails. I said, "don't drive into the pit"

https://durandinterstellar.com/photo...ugh%20Town.mp4
    Just what that neighborhood needs , another pit.
    I've driven on many streets that had open drainage along both sides and you are correct you don't drive in the pits or trenches But know a lot of places there the ditches are right at the edge of the pavement on extremely narrow streets it gets a little dicey at times when meeting oncoming traffic whos drivers are afraid to drive in their onw lane. But I'm a stand my ground guy they either move to their side of the road or pay higher insurance premiums

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I guess having lived in Florida while learning to drive helped a lot. How to drive on sand or mud and still stay out of the ditch.

When we were driving around looking at properties right after a big rainstorm our sponsor's husband complimented me on my driving. Some of the property was at the end of dirt/mud roads and a good part of my driving (2 wheel drive rental car) was facing somewhere other than the direction we were moving but I stayed on the road.

I would have felt much better with our 4x4 and we'll buy one there, but rentals only come in city cars.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    No work in a week on The Pit. Almost can't stand the quiet, like waiting for the thumping!

On our new house, we were just reviewing the latest progress video and as it panned past the front balcony we spotted a wall beginning at the front of the balcony.

ALL STOP!

me: what are those bricks on the front balcony?

them: it's the wall.

me: what wall?

them: the waist high balcony wall.

me: there is no wall, my wife builds wrought iron stuff, you know we're putting in railings.

them: it's right here on the...pause...NOT on the plans.

today's assignment: remove the bricks, patch any holes. At least the mortar is fresh, I would think they can pull them up easy enough and reuse them elsewhere.

I sent a reminder that we're doing ALL railings, hand rails, etc.

I also mentioned they don't need to narrate the progress videos, just walk around getting everything and we'll ask if there's something we don't understand.

I posted a few screen grabs from the video in the usual place...
    https://durandinterstellar.com/photos/Our_New_Home/
    newest at the bottom

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    You know that brickies get paid by the brick don't you just like asphalt and road building they get paid by the cubic meter this is why a road that could be only 3 miles long winds up being 7 there is no other logical reason why a flat level road needs to be more than twice as long as the distance in a straight line between two points,
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I took the tour to your new place. Raining and no one wears a coat/jacket. Must be warm. The beginning of the trip reminded me of Carson City Nevada...

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    It doesn't get all that cold there, it's currently 0C there with a range of -2 to +1 today. A few cm of snow in the winter that melts a day or two later.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Several guys at The Pit today digging up some of the dirt they ponded down to run sewer lines from the various rain drains. Each basement window well looks like it gets a sewer line. No idea where these are all going, they're still digging with a small jack hammer with a wide blade, picks, and shovels.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Well, small progress being made in The Pit, but we rarely see anyone around.

There's a couple of sewer (roof drain?) pipes that join under the garage floor there. Cleaning should be fun, but roof drains never clog...right?

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200127_131746.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Well, small progress being made in The Pit, but we rarely see anyone around.

There's a couple of sewer (roof drain?) pipes that join under the garage floor there. Cleaning should be fun, but roof drains never clog...right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200127_131746.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	33300
    Right,maybe if you live in the Sahara dessert

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    A contractor looked at that house and said the engine hoist is actually for a cantilevered awning. Normally the beam would go further into the house but this one stops where it's attached to the smaller (looks like 3 or 4" square) tube that goes down to the foundation. He said that sheet metal "strong wall" panel is there to keep it straight.

I'm betting that roof will be a bit bouncy if you walk out on it. Looks good with that big steel beam but that long skinny tube looks bendy.

Thread Information