Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Oxyacetylene pipe beveler - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Oxyacetylene pipe beveler - GIF

Oxyacetylene pipe beveler.

Previously:

Cutting a huge pipe while straddling it - GIF
    Pipe flange spreading tool - GIF
    Track torch for cutting pipe - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 29, 2020), carloski (Jul 4, 2021), jackhoying (Feb 28, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 2, 2020), Seedtick (Jan 28, 2020), Slim-123 (Jan 28, 2020), thehomeengineer (Jan 29, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Over the years I have owned several of those Mathey pipe beveling machines. The key to making a good cut is just like it appears in the video make a pass around the pipe with a hot oxygen rich flame to burn off any scale from both inside and out side the go around while making the cut

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Indispensable tool around my bosses shop. The ones that are used there are wore real good but still work and the guys would have to spend so much more time with a grinder in their hand. With some of the guys the pipe bevelers likely save a good few trips to the hospital. Often there is not a guard to be seen when they are using cut off wheels. One guy had a wheel blow and cut his brow just over his eye, no face shield, no safety glasses. No guard on the grinder. He still has not learned to keep the motor or center of mass behind rotation, he gets kickbacks all the time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Feb 2, 2020)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Over the years I have owned several of those Mathey pipe beveling machines. The key to making a good cut is just like it appears in the video make a pass around the pipe with a hot oxygen rich flame to burn off any scale from both inside and out side the go around while making the cut
    That's an interesting – and intricate – piece of equipment. But why were they designed to travel around a stationary pipe? Rather than rotating the pipe? (Unless, of course, they were intended for servicing existing pipe assemblies.)

Thanks
    "Unless, of course, they were intended for servicing existing pipe assemblies"

That and rotating 40' of pipe can be easier said than done, especially smoothly for the torch.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to suther51 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    That's an interesting – and intricate – piece of equipment. But why were they designed to travel around a stationary pipe? Rather than rotating the pipe? (Unless, of course, they were intended for servicing existing pipe assemblies.)
    I'll let you think about this for a moment shop work is not like working in the field in a shop we can set up machines to rotate the pipe but they are dedicated floor space killers. Let's say for argument you and I both are pipeliner's and we have been called out to a construction site where there the requirement is to weld up several risers, turnbacks, flanges and transitions, requiring lots of beveled nipples and sections of pipe to be beveled.
    We both have our compliment of pipe working tools on our rigs IE pipe stands with or without roller heads or vee heads to lay the pipe on for cutting at a comfortable height. I show up with a couple of these beveling machines and maybe even a machine that has a chain that fits pipes up to 48" that walks it way around the chain the machine is called a Bugomatic.
    Everything I need to work pipe would be on my truck.
    But you are going to roll these 20, 40 or even 60 foot long sticks of pipe to make your bevels so you haul a stationary machine that rotates the pipe mounted on a trailer because it is so large it will not fit on your rig. For each nipple cut or section length the pipe must be slid to the beveling machine on the rollers. For smaller shorter sticks of pipe this is no problem you do this by hand but even 4" sch 80 pipe weighs 14+ lbs per foot trying to drag a 40 ft. stick of it means you need a way to pull it to your beveling machine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Posted by Frank S
    "I'll let you think about this for a moment ..."
    --
    Never worked with anything that massive. Thanks for fleshing it out for me.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    Posted by Frank S
    "I'll let you think about this for a moment ..."
    --
    Never worked with anything that massive. Thanks for fleshing it out for me.
    In my shop in Kuwait we had a CNC pipe profiling machine capable of handling 40 ft sticks of pipe from 2" to 18" in diameter it was a floor place hog but as it was used nearly every day and sometimes for 8 to 10 hours per day it was well worth the investment.
    there are very few portable pipe beveling machines that are capable of making cuts other that just straight around the pipe I've only seen 1 that could cut up to a 22 1/2 degree oblique angle around a pipe
    Where as a profile machine can cut any shape any angle or slice a pipe from end to end

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information