Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The house next door...or how to NOT build a house

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Still not much going on in The Pit house. A couple of plumbers occasionally come by for a few hours. Some sort of inspector was there the other day. The contractor himself and one or two guys were there for a few hours. The tarps are ripping free of the roof. Overall it's ALMOST abandoned. No idea what the delay is.

As for our new house, aside from pauses for heavy rain and one day they got almost record snow (100mm), they're moving right along. A week or two and we should have a roof.

Front of the main part
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-2020-02-16_house_front.jpeg

Back of the main part
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-2020-02-16_house_back.jpeg

Front of shop
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-2020-02-15_workshop_front.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Activity in The Pit!!!

It's ALIVE!!!

I guess I missed when they poured the foundation for the garage, I see they can't pour that without issues.

Shouldn't they pour the floor before putting up all the walls? Seems easier. Also, might want to run some reinforcing in the garage floor.

A big window facing our driveway? Is that so we can look at their big, fancy SUVs?

Pictures:
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200218_171319.jpg

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200218_171330.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    A bit more progress on The Pit

That garage looks awfully sturdy for a 1 story hollow shell. Since it has a flat roof with a parapet like the main building, maybe that's to hold up all the water when the drain clogs?

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200219_165259.jpg

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200219_165312.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I wonder if the owners have thrown enough money in the pit that they are beginning to rethink their decisions
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I wonder if the owners have thrown enough money in the pit that they are beginning to rethink their decisions
    The contractor and workers are cheery. The contractor still wants to buy our place to tear down and build. We haven't seen the owners recently, but when they come by it's often for a short walk-through.

Our new house is working through a glitch, seems nobody told the roofer that the workshop has a skylight. Oops. They're having a meeting today to adjust the framing as required, at least the roof isn't skinned yet. Also to make sure the two skylights are in the plans for the roof over the 2 story section.

To head off potential problems I gave them a drawing of how we want the work area in front of the workshop roofed (after the house is done). I figured I should get that in before someone builds something in the way of the work area cover. It's going to be nice having a 3 x 5 meter flat work area with a high current welding outlet and regular power. At our California house it's hard to find level ground, the driveway is very sloped and can be used but not well.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    The contractor and workers are cheery. The contractor still wants to buy our place to tear down and build. We haven't seen the owners recently, but when they come by it's often for a short walk-through.

Our new house is working through a glitch, seems nobody told the roofer that the workshop has a skylight. Oops. They're having a meeting today to adjust the framing as required, at least the roof isn't skinned yet. Also to make sure the two skylights are in the plans for the roof over the 2 story section.

To head off potential problems I gave them a drawing of how we want the work area in front of the workshop roofed (after the house is done). I figured I should get that in before someone builds something in the way of the work area cover. It's going to be nice having a 3 x 5 meter flat work area with a high current welding outlet and regular power. At our California house it's hard to find level ground, the driveway is very sloped and can be used but not well.
    Having a covered level work area can be extremely useful being able to install a roll down canvas or vinyl wind tarp on a couple sides such as those sun setter awning enclosures when needed is even more so
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Having a covered level work area can be extremely useful being able to install a roll down canvas or vinyl wind tarp on a couple sides such as those sun setter awning enclosures when needed is even more so
    Two sides are the main house and front of the shop. The third side is the covered driveway, you can back up to the shop porch and the railing will swing open to make a loading dock. The 4th is open but can have a tarp. You can see the work area in this photo

Anyway, PIT photos.

Skinned the garage
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200220_164408.jpg

and put in a rather rustic driveway
    The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200220_164431.jpg

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    How much beer was needed to keep that place square...

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    How much beer was needed to keep that place square...
    My contractor informs me they were restricted to 10 barrels.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    In The Pit we can now see what that engine hoist piece of steel is for. As it's only connected with 4 bolts at the house side, it doesn't strike me as all that strong. But, not my roof.

The house next door...or how to NOT build a house-img_20200229_165240.jpg

Thread Information