Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY Full Sized CNC Router Part 3

Thanks

Making Stuff's Tools

DIY Full Sized CNC Router Part 3

Here is part 3, the drive reduction system video for the full sized cnc router that I am building.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Making Stuff For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Feb 20, 2020)

Thanks
    good work,there are always things you find that are better or need to be changed or fliped around.as for the bearings being pressed on the shafts, they have to be tight to the shaft or they will wear the shaft, you can however knock down the size of the shaft at the end some ( slight sanding on lathe dont take long to make them press eazer.)if they are too tough to get on the shafts.
    ive got the same speedway lathe with upgraded board, great little lathe,also have bigger 9x20 enco witch is half the quality of the speedway...go figure.I have 2 mills,only use 1 now, thinking about a cnc conversion to the small mill(old ,almost like new 1975 ,enco milldrill).but I doubt Ill ever be able to do it.my brain just aint what it used to be( too much radiation/cancer) the electronics stuff is way out of my thinking box of tools nowdays. keep up the great work Ill watch some more of your stuff to make sure your doing it right

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Making Stuff's Tools
    The shaft is hardened so I don't think the lathe would do much. I did take a little off the end like you suggested with the 2x72 belt grinder and a fine belt. Seemed to do the trick. Thanks for your input and thanks for watching!

Thanks
    hard still cuts or grinds and sands...just tales longer....and the right tools to do so. I wouldn't try to cut, just polish down a bit, unless you can get zero run out and then still booger to get it right.Ive used diamond stones or cbn to knock some down a bit. some of the china stuff is just rough and needs a bit of polishing to knock off the high spots.make sure you only press on the inner race when presing onto the shaft. and outer race pressing into housings...china bearings are soft...as are some other's. Ive seen effed up new bearings and never knew that they did it.. bearings run quiet, if not something is rong....be sure to make a good cover so no debris of any kind get to the bearings. seals work great,,, but...some stuff still gets by seals bearings seals. especialy prickley slivers.
    you can always put a shaft in a drill and spin it agnist the belt sander if your belt sander isant portable....lots of ways to skin cats and not get bitten.
    Last edited by marksbug; Feb 20, 2020 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Making Stuff's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    hard still cuts or grinds and sands...just tales longer....and the right tools to do so. I wouldn't try to cut, just polish down a bit, unless you can get zero run out and then still booger to get it right.Ive used diamond stones or cbn to knock some down a bit. some of the china stuff is just rough and needs a bit of polishing to knock off the high spots.make sure you only press on the inner race when presing onto the shaft. and outer race pressing into housings...china bearings are soft...as are some other's. Ive seen effed up new bearings and never knew that they did it.. bearings run quiet, if not something is rong....be sure to make a good cover so no debris of any kind get to the bearings. seals work great,,, but...some stuff still gets by seals bearings seals. especialy prickley slivers.
    you can always put a shaft in a drill and spin it agnist the belt sander if your belt sander isant portable....lots of ways to skin cats and not get bitten.
    Ok thanks for all the info.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information