Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)

I designed these saw horses to be both fold-able and adjustable for height. I've created 2 different mechanisms to make things interesting but both saw horses share many things such as; 2 inch on center 16mm holes in the tops to match my welding table (so accessories can be used between then if needed) Both saw horses fold up flat for storage when not in use. The main frame on both are made from 1-1/2" 14 gauge square tube steel with 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle for the tops. Both are decked out in Rustoleum Gloss Cherry red and Hammered silver.

Now for the differences...

Version 1:

This saw horse uses the post from an old car bumper jack. I cut the post in half and mounted them upside down so the "teeth" lock with downward pressure to support any heavy load. I made 2 spring loaded square pins that engage with the grooves in the post. You can pull the top up and the pins will ride over the grooves to the height you want.(makes a neat ratchet sound too-lol) To adjust downward, just rotate the center handle slightly which will disengage both pins.

I've also installed spring loaded detent pins for each side in the event you want to lock this more securely for very heavy loads. Holes are 1-1/2" on center. This saw horse goes from 32 inches up to 44 inches.

Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-10s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-12s.jpgAttachment 33672Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-13s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-14s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-15s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-16s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-17s.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-18s.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-11s.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by bobs409; Feb 20, 2020 at 04:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 20, 2020)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Version 2:

This saw horse is a bit different in that to raise and lower the top, you spin the center threaded post. (a 5/8" threaded rod) For small adjustments, there is a handle at the bottom or to make the process faster and easier, just pop a 3/8" socket on a cordless drill and use that to spin the shaft from the top! Working height on this one goes from 32 up to 41 inches.

Both saw horses are Extremely Strong!! (I won't be doing a weight test but they can hold a lot!) I will be getting a lot of use out of these! (and I can finally retire my rotted out wooden ones!)

Folding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s210.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s220.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s230.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s240.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s250.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s260.jpgFolding Metal Saw horses (2 versions)-s270.jpg

A little back story:

I guess worth mentioning that I did have a few other designs in mind thru the process and the one I REALLY wanted to make for both would have used rack and pinion gears and have them crank up like a drill press table but that version would have cost me about $100 bucks for just the gears and racks! Not a hard decision to scrap that plan! lol

Another version I actually attempted and built used two threaded rods, one in each side tube that turned together using sprockets and a chain but after much difficulty with binding, I scrapped that idea.

Lastly is one I didn't attempt and it would have worked like a scissor lift to raise the top. I think it would have been a lot of fun but the two versions I went with won the battle in my head.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 20, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Folding Sawhorse to our Sawhorses category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Feb 22, 2020)

Thread Information