Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade face masks

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,672 Times in 479 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools

Homemade face masks

Thought I could share this here.
    In France the Grenoble town University Hospital Center has circulated a tutorial on how to make oneself a fabric face mask.
    I will not argue here if this is safe or not for the Corona virus, it is obvious it not suitable for any medical staff, and the nanometric virus can of course pass this barrier, but it is generally accepted to say as well that the main vector being the droplets, a face mask is good at stopping them, in order to protect your interlocutors as to protect yourself from others.
    (But always think of protecting the others first, it's more satisfying )

Well, obviously, if you have nothing else, it's far better than nothing, and it can be useful when doing your quick and fast shopping during this confinement time here in Europe.

So here are the masks I've made for the family and I also provide a link to the pdf document giving the templates. It's in French, but the templates are self-explicative, and moreover, I give below the very clean video tutorial done by a nice youtuber woman called Cécile.

Here is the document : Triple_Fabric_Layer_mask_Grenoble_Hospital.pdf

Here is the video tutorial :

And here is my making :
    Outer layer is made of Linen, inner layer is cotton, and the filter in the middle is some thick felt like synthetic material, I think it is polyester.
    I made two sizes, for men and women.

Keep safe, be prepared, protect the others, protect yourself, and let's wait for the end of this crazy period !
    (And let's think that, afterwards, it will be able to serve as a dust filter in the shop ;o) )
    Christophe

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Christophe Mineau; Mar 25, 2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 26, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Mar 30, 2020), byates (Mar 26, 2020), Cafe33 (Mar 31, 2020), Captainleeward (Mar 27, 2020), DIYer (Mar 25, 2020), Fixitfrank (Mar 28, 2020), GedB (Mar 26, 2020), high-side (Mar 26, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 26, 2020), Inner (Mar 25, 2020), JoeH (Mar 26, 2020), Jon (Mar 25, 2020), rlm98253 (Mar 25, 2020), Tonyg (Mar 26, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Christophe Mineau! We've added your Face Mask to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Christophe Mineau's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hello Christophe, well that will keep us incognito for sure good one from Cap. You look so stylish Christophe......

Thanks
    Well done, we saw on TV that Europeans and Americans do n’t like wearing masks. They think that only sick people need to wear masks. This is a very bad idea. Masks can provide two-way protection to prevent the virus from coming out of the patient's mouth. It can also prevent the virus suspended in the air from being inhaled by healthy people, so try to convince your family and friends to wear masks when going out. This practice has proven very effective in our country. Now that we have lifted the quarantine, people can Back to work, you can go for a walk or hold a small party, and life is gradually back on track. I hope all the epidemics will be brought under control as soon as possible and I wish you good health.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zzy9903 For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Mar 28, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zzy9903 View Post
    Well done, we saw on TV that Europeans and Americans do n’t like wearing masks. They think that only sick people need to wear masks. This is a very bad idea. Masks can provide two-way protection to prevent the virus from coming out of the patient's mouth. It can also prevent the virus suspended in the air from being inhaled by healthy people, so try to convince your family and friends to wear masks when going out. This practice has proven very effective in our country. Now that we have lifted the quarantine, people can Back to work, y, what ou can go for a walk or hold a small party, and life is gradually back on track. I hope all the epidemics will be brought under control as soon as possible and I wish you good health.
    Thanks zz, what country are you from ? Continental China?
    What you say about Western people and mask is exactly true.
    Cheers !
    Christophe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captainleeward View Post
    Hello Christophe, well that will keep us incognito for sure good one from Cap. You look so stylish Christophe......
    Thanks Captain, hope you're doing well and keep safe!
    Cheers !
    Christophe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Mar 28, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Thanks zz, what country are you from ? Continental China?
    What you say about Western people and mask is exactly true.
    yes,i come form china,And I noticed that our neighbor Japan, people there prefer to wear masks, so although there is close contact between China and Japan, very few of them are infected, I think this is the role of masks

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zzy9903 For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Mar 28, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Mar 28, 2020)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hello Christophe, Happy Saturday morning and best wishes to you and your family....Cap.

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    These are useful for medical personnel as a 'pre-mask' to be worn over the standard N95 type; extending the useful life of them...

Sadly there is still stupid advice coming out about not wearing masks for regular people' here in the US...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Mar 30, 2020)

Thanks

Yes, same here, at least at the begining. But it turned out it was more a government communication strategy to cope with the lack of mask supply, globally. Just to be sure that people don't rush towards medical masks and to reserve them for the medical staff. This is understandable, but it's more a question of transparency, and the trust people put in the official speech will suffer from it.
    Obviously, these masks are better than nothing, and now we don't hear anymore messages to discourage wearing them.
    Cheers !
    Christophe

Thread Information