Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Improved Panavise hook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Improved Panavise hook

In a previous post...

Panavise accessory arbor

I discussed attaching my Panavise to my bench hook. This offered any advantage the value of which I'm only now coming to fully appreciate, to wit...

The bench edge clamp supplied with the base puts the Panavise too close to the edge of the bench. There is no support for one's forearms so it's difficult to hold the hands steadily enough to do fine work. By moving the Panavise back from the edge by use of the bench hook, the forearms are supported and steadier work is the result. In addition, the hook can be simply dropped in place when needed, whereas the supplied clamp requires manipulation; this becomes an important distinction when working on a small (or cluttered) bench when space for the next operation must be frequently cleared.

Nice as it is, the Panavise needs to be detached to use the bench hook for more conventional purposes such as chiseling and sanding. The constant on/off cycle got to be irritating so I decided that the Panavise needed its very own bench hook.

I happened to have a 3/8" plywood circle that was once part of a cable reel. It had a bunch of holes so I filled those with dowel slices and added a substantial hook (visible in second photo), and then installed the Panavise base with countersunk bolts from below. Then I installed four 1/4-20 T-nuts (the type for use in wood) around the vise to provide metal threads for bolting down various accessories (as shown in the first photo).

At the 9 o'clock position a small anvil is clamped while at 3 o'clock a holder for various Foredom points is situated. At 6 o'clock a steel square is bolted so a magnet can be held. In turn, the magnet can hold a small recycled tin can. This is useful for paint thinner or just as a catchall for whatever. Not seen in the photos is a holder for a soldering iron and wiper sponge.

The T-nuts provide another level of utility to what is already a very useful design.

Improved Panavise hook-pana-1.jpg

Improved Panavise hook-pana-2.jpg

The take-away from all this is to possibly improve your productivity by mounting tools to bench hooks and fitting said hooks with the means for attaching accessories to the mounted tool.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

asterix (Aug 25, 2022), baja (Mar 27, 2020), boggybud (Jan 24, 2023), bruce.desertrat (Mar 26, 2020), carloski (Aug 26, 2022), flyfr8rs (Aug 25, 2022), Jon (Mar 26, 2020), Moby Duck (Mar 29, 2020), old_toolmaker (Mar 29, 2020), Paul Jones (Mar 29, 2020), rgsparber (Mar 30, 2020), rlm98253 (Mar 26, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 26, 2020), Sleykin (Mar 27, 2020), sparky42 (Jan 21, 2022), that_other_guy (Feb 26, 2024), threesixesinarow (Mar 30, 2020), Tule (Mar 28, 2020), verticalmurph (Mar 27, 2020), volodar (Apr 30, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Panavise Hook to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Mar 30, 2020), sparky42 (Jun 10, 2022)

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    Mklotz,

Marv,
    I thought you couldn’t improve on the PanaVise any further but you have done it again!
    I bought a PanaVise base with ball a while back at your suggestion for its usefulness. It has been one of my better investments.
    Dick
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old_toolmaker For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Mar 31, 2020), rgsparber (Mar 30, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    In a previous post...

Panavise accessory arbor

I discussed attaching my Panavise to my bench hook. This offered any advantage the value of which I'm only now coming to fully appreciate, to wit...

The bench edge clamp supplied with the base puts the Panavise too close to the edge of the bench. There is no support for one's forearms so it's difficult to hold the hands steadily enough to do fine work. By moving the Panavise back from the edge by use of the bench hook, the forearms are supported and steadier work is the result. In addition, the hook can be simply dropped in place when needed, whereas the supplied clamp requires manipulation; this becomes an important distinction when working on a small (or cluttered) bench when space for the next operation must be frequently cleared.

Nice as it is, the Panavise needs to be detached to use the bench hook for more conventional purposes such as chiseling and sanding. The constant on/off cycle got to be irritating so I decided that the Panavise needed its very own bench hook.

I happened to have a 3/8" plywood circle that was once part of a cable reel. It had a bunch of holes so I filled those with dowel slices and added a substantial hook (visible in second photo), and then installed the Panavise base with countersunk bolts from below. Then I installed four 1/4-20 T-nuts (the type for use in wood) around the vise to provide metal threads for bolting down various accessories (as shown in the first photo).

At the 9 o'clock position a small anvil is clamped while at 3 o'clock a holder for various Foredom points is situated. At 6 o'clock a steel square is bolted so a magnet can be held. In turn, the magnet can hold a small recycled tin can. This is useful for paint thinner or just as a catchall for whatever. Not seen in the photos is a holder for a soldering iron and wiper sponge.

The T-nuts provide another level of utility to what is already a very useful design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANA-1.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	34104

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PANA-2.jpg 
Views:	735 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	34105

The take-away from all this is to possibly improve your productivity by mounting tools to bench hooks and fitting said hooks with the means for attaching accessories to the mounted tool.
    Marv,

This is one of those basic ideas that appears trivial. But the more I thought about the concept, the more I could see how it will help me. Ya sure got me thinking!

Thanks,

Rick

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Mar 31, 2020)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old_toolmaker View Post
    Mklotz,

Marv,
    I thought you couldn’t improve on the PanaVise any further but you have done it again!
    I bought a PanaVise base with ball a while back at your suggestion for its usefulness. It has been one of my better investments.
    Dick
    Thanks for the kind words. You've probably seen them already but, for the benefit of others who read this thread, here's a list of my Panavise posts...

Prismatic jaw for Panavise

Panavise accessory arbor

Foredom-Panavise carrier

The twin sliding vise shown in the above thread is probably the most useful accessory (beyond the Panavise itself) I've built for the Panavise base.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Marv,

This is one of those basic ideas that appears trivial. But the more I thought about the concept, the more I could see how it will help me. Ya sure got me thinking!

Thanks,

Rick
    Detailed, dimensioned plans and step-by-step build videos have their place but, at least to me, an inspirational "trigger" that inspires the craftsman to design and build something entirely new is absolutely golden.

The simpler and more generalized these triggers are, the greater the latitude for further development by the reader.

Sometimes I hesitate to publish such simple ideas, thinking "Ah, anyone could think of this". I'm always surprised when the response indicates that I've stimulated other's creativity.

Ah, I wax philosophic...and we know how phil hates to be waxed. Stay healthy. Remember, the hair and nail salons are all closed. It's about to get ugly out there.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Jan 23, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Love it. But for me, i may need the base circle to be able to turn.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    Love it. But for me, i may need the base circle to be able to turn.
    Well, for my use the ability to turn isn't important because the vise base can be rotated full circle in azimuth and locked while the hook remains fixed in place.

A base that can rotate would not be useful for any work that required applying some force to the workpiece since that might make the workpiece turn away from you. [Imagine sawing or filing a part attached to a lazy susan.] If made to turn, some form of brake would be essential and that would complicate the construction and the rigidity of the hook.

A better solution would be to make the base/hook stationary as mine is and add a workpiece holder that can be rotated and locked in position.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Ok, i see what you mean. Im a paraplegic using a wheelchair so my reach is not so great. But moving the items makes better sense.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    Ok, i see what you mean. Im a paraplegic using a wheelchair so my reach is not so great. But moving the items makes better sense.
    I'm sorry to hear of your disability.

My design purposely places the vise back from the front edge of the bench so that I can rest my forearms on the bench to steady them while doing fine work on stuff held in the vise.

You may want to think about mounting a vise on the hook closer to the edge of the bench for easy access. In your design allow for easy re-placement of the vise if the first placement doesn't work as you wish.

Perhaps you would be happier with a vise base that clamps directly to the edge of the table. Panavise sells such a device (I have one) but they're vastly overpriced...

https://www.panavise.com/index.html?...eqskudatarq=19

It wouldn't be difficult to fabricate the same sort of thing from wood and a C-clamp.

--
    Bonus hint: If you make a bench hook, think about adding utility to the design by extending the front edge out over the edge of the workbench. Cut a birdsmouth into it and you have a handy place to use a fret saw for intricate cutting. This may require clamping the hook to the bench. My recommendation for a clamp is this HF model...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch...amp-96210.html

All metal construction, easily tightened and grips like an anaconda.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information