Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Railroad Anvil and Forge

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools

Railroad Anvil and Forge

Hi there,
    I have just finished building my first forge and anvil. I am not the first to make a railroad anvil, but I may be the first who had never taken on something like this. If I can do it, anyone can.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Marnat3 (Mar 30, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for the video, I have often thought of making my own anvil but my question is where do you get/purchase railroad track? Scrap yards around Orlando do not to my knowledge sell scrap back to the public plus rail being the property of the railroad I would think haul it directly to the scrap yard and the public never gets a chance to get their hands on any of it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Stan.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Hello Stan,
    Thanks for getting in touch. Since I am based in the UK I don't really know what to say. Many scrap yards here don't sell back to the public either and it takes a little sweet talking. As long as you say it is for a hobby, they might be ok to help you out. The other thing I would advise is to maybe start a thread on this forum and ask the same question. I am sure someone here who lives in Florida might be able to steer you in the right direction. I would guess if you headed away from the big cities in more rural areas you might be lucky. Anyway, I wish you very much luck with all of it. And stay healthy and safe in these crazy times. Nick

Thanks
    Hi Nick
    Thank you for your thoughts and well wishes, I will do just that start a thread and ask..... great idea.

Your correct going out away from the big city the "Boonies" or boondocks as we used to say is where you can often come across all kinds of interesting stuff. I have often in the past saw something of interest and asked what are you going to do with that? Many times getting the reply, you want it take it its just collecting dust.

Be well my friend and stay safe, as I have friends in Yorkshire and am kept abreast as to whats happening on your side of the pond.
    Best wishes and stay healthy.
    Stan.

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Stan,
    I hope your friends in Yorkshire are ok. We are all in a very odd place. good luck in the Boonies. My wife is American so I am familiar with the Boondocks. I reckon you will find what you are looking for. Have fun.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information