Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tensioning your horizontal band saw blade.

Thanks

Tensioning your horizontal band saw blade.

I am interested in knowing how folks go about getting the correct tension on their band saw blade. This may seem like a basic question but newbies don’t know and us old timers can always learn something new.

Because of the slow speed you can’t use the same method as used when tensioning a wood cutting band saw blade, so how do you know when and what things do you look for to know your blade it tightened correctly.

Can anyone share a manufacturers recommendation? I look forward to hearing what you guys come up with.
    Thanks.

Stan.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Contact the Do All company. Years ago, I was involved in the development of a production process involving a very large band saw. This saw had a 36' long x 2" wide blade, if I recall. We had a tension instrument and I think it came from Do All. You actually clamped it to the blade prior to tensioning. For the smaller saws that the home shops have; I would think the manufacturer would have guide lines. On my two metal cutters, I simply tighten them until the tension knobs protest any more hand adjustment, and I stop. You will get the feel of it in time.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Stan
    Unfortunately most saws don’t give a tension for the blades. I did once see a bandsaw with a tension guide which was simply as you raised the tensioning wheel it rotated with a pointer that a aligned in a red zone which was a bit hit and miss. The reason being we welded our own blades and a few millimetres longer or shorter made the gauge useless. I agree with Owen you will get a feel for it. I also tighten until it feels like a good tension on the blade and it has served well for many years now. Sorry can’t be any more helpful
    The Home Engineer

Thanks
    I wish I could help. But it does seem pretty much try it and see. The gauge on my Rikon wood bandsaw is useless. There is no gauge on my grizzly 7x12 horizontal saw. I tighten both till I feel quite a bit of tension.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information