Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by HobieDave View Post
    In my opinion the macs are safer with a suppressor fitted, plus it makes them look even more serious.

My staff sergeant had the mac 11, the fire rate on that was incredible - you blink and you have emptied a mag. Takes a week or two to remove the smile from ones face.
    Dave, that cannot be right! On TV, those guys can shoot for 20 minutes, and never change mags. You are suggesting they put fake stuff on TV for dramatic effect!!!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 8, 2020), HobieDave (Apr 6, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Dave, that cannot be right! On TV, those guys can shoot for 20 minutes, and never change mags. You are suggesting they put fake stuff on TV for dramatic effect!!!!
    Pffft, Pffft, Pffft!!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    A few points: 1. Excellent machining and assembly. Designing and building something like this requires very high accuracy and tollerances. 2. Perhaps it is just the video feeds, but I did not notice as much noise reduction that I anticipated. It was less but perhaps not worth the build, fit, and test time. 3. Rather impressed with the shooting skill of the operator. I have fired pistols in competition and have had countless hours on the range. Well done.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick79 For This Useful Post:

allenz (Aug 8, 2023), Jughead (Apr 6, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick79 View Post
    A few points: 1. Excellent machining and assembly. Designing and building something like this requires very high accuracy and tollerances. 2. Perhaps it is just the video feeds, but I did not notice as much noise reduction that I anticipated. It was less but perhaps not worth the build, fit, and test time. 3. Rather impressed with the shooting skill of the operator. I have fired pistols in competition and have had countless hours on the range. Well done.
    Thanks Nick.

The video clip audio doesn't reflect the true difference. The difference actually is huge, so much so that there is no need for ear muffs or hearing protection of any kind.

Having said that, however, it is impossible to "silence" a firearm, and even less so a handgun. Noise from a handgun comes from 3 different sources.

Firstly the muzzle blast I.e. what come out the end of the barrel. This can be suppressed to a certain extent. Using larger cans with rubber wipers etc are much more effective at capturing and slowing down the blast, but become impractical due the the size and weight.

Secondly the round clearing the sound barrier also makes a crack. This can be avoided by using subsonic ammo, or by physically slowing down the round with some type of physical interference (rubber wipers mentioned above). Downside to this is accuracy.

Third is the noise from the cycling action of the slide, not only with the mechanical action, but with a portion of the initial blast that gets blown out of the slide together with the spent casing. This one can do nothing about.
    Last edited by Jughead; Apr 6, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    On the effectiveness, I have an air rifle with a LEGAL silencer on it. It shoots lead ammo just under the speed of sound and while there's almost no pop from the gun the mechanism is pretty loud...at least to me holding it. My wife says it could be a door slam, doesn't sound like a weapon.

BTW, you don't want to use this on one of those commercial steel deflector targets. It will soon go through the deflector.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There for a while I was buying non operation guns for a song and singing the song off key so to speak. Seriously I must have bought a dozen or more wall hangers their value in scrap metal at the time would have been more than I paid for them. This one .22 single shot that I bought someone had threaded the end of the barrel with a coarse thread die and from the looks of it a hand held die stock ruining the end of the barrel. I repaired what the guy at the pawn shop had purposely damaged so the rifle couldn't fire. He had done some minor damage to the rifle rendering it incapable of firing to be able to sell it and get it out of inventory because of the threading on the end of the barrel would make the weapon unsafe to fire should someone take it upon their selves to make a homemade silencer for it. I looked it over then measured the barrel then told the guy you know if you were careful you could cut this thread off and the barrel would still be legal length but just barely. He said yes but his boss wouldn't allow it because of this or that. So I bought it repaired the damage to the bolt and trigger but just left the thread on the end no need to cut it off if I were to do anything I would fashion a faux flash suppressor just for looks and to hide the ugly thread.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Could just put a cap over it (with a hole for the thingy to fly through). Even make a shoot-through rain cap, clamp a piece of plastic wrap under that cap to keep your powder dry.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I've moved 21 posts from this thread into this thread in our Site Suggestions and Help forum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

mrsuwds (Apr 23, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Experiment No:1 on the milling machine done. Made a monocore for my 9mm suppressor. This was done by eye with barely any measurements taken. Basically just cut 30°, 60° and 90°. Will have to go down to the range and see (or rather hear) how effective it is.

It still uses the same Nielsen Device, but does away with all the loose spacers and baffles inside, making it much easier to clean. I also shortened it a little as the first one I found to be a little long.

Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor-20200204_151534.jpg

Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor-20200204_151504.jpg

Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor-20200204_151648.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jughead For This Useful Post:

allenz (Aug 8, 2023), paulsabatier (Apr 8, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Ok now that all of the clap flap is over and done with.
    There is one question I've not read either asked or answered.
    My limited experience with various sound suppressing devices attached to a fire arm has shown some to reduce the muzzle velocity by varying amounts some to the point of a noticeable amount of additional recoil felt in the weapon also greatly reducing the foot pounds second or meter kilograms seconds in your case. greatly altering the anticipated penetration depth of a particular round.
    have you had a chance or inclination to preform any tests which could offer you a determination of a round's effectiveness striking the target.
    Accuracy is always a primary concern but you seem to have managed to be able to dial in a predictability to that issue. I might add in a most intriguing way I'm trying to remember if or where I had seen that method before.
    Bear in mind I make no claim to be a gunsmith even a novice one even though I have repaired my fair share of fire arms.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information