Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Slotted screw guide

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Slotted screw guide

If you ever have occasion to use a 6" x 1/8" screwdriver on slotted screws...

Slotted screw guide-screw-guide-1.jpg

you'll appreciate this device to keep the screwdriver from slipping out of the screw slot. (There's a special circle in Hell for the idiots who devised slotted screws.)

It's a very simple lathe job. Slim down the tip of some 1/4" brass, drill through to accommodate the screwdriver shaft and enlarge the business end to fit over the screw head. Cross drill and tap 2-56 for a tiny set screw. (These screws require a 0.035" hex wrench. My handled one is shown in the photo.)

Slotted screw guide-screw-guide-2.jpg

Here it's assembled on the driver.

Slotted screw guide-screw-guide-3.jpg

In use it's extended down over the point to seat around the screw head. Rotate driver until you feel it drop into the slot. Tighten set screw and you're good to go. When not needed, store it on the screwdriver shaft up by the handle.

Although intended for miniature work, the idea is easily extended to larger drivers.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 9, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Apr 8, 2020), DIYer (Apr 6, 2020), dubbby (Apr 12, 2020), Jon (Apr 9, 2020), kboy0076 (Feb 10, 2023), rgsparber (Apr 7, 2020), rlm98253 (Apr 7, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 7, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 28, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Slotted Screw Guide to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for your special circle in hell comment. I used to be able to find hex drive slotted screw drivers with the hex shank, but no more. I used them in a drill when I had a bazillion of them to remove. I never quite thought to make my own. my carpal tunnel thanks you.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ibdennyak View Post
    Thank you for your special circle in hell comment. I used to be able to find hex drive slotted screw drivers with the hex shank, but no more. I used them in a drill when I had a bazillion of them to remove. I never quite thought to make my own. my carpal tunnel thanks you.
    What you need is a set of gunsmith screwdrivers - properly hollow ground in a wide variety of tip dimensions with hex shanks.

Miller is a well-known, quality provider of same...

https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Profe...s%2C209&sr=8-8

My set is made by Chapman and is an older version of this set...

https://www.amazon.com/CHAPMAN-Piece...s%2C209&sr=8-6
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 28, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The "special circle in hell" is because they didn't create hollow ground (parallel) bits to drive them with, and originally the slots were filed and or sawn (lacking mill cutters), which nothing worked short of hand-fitting. No question they were filed into an approximation of thickness but tapered, so it only bore on a slots edges.
    A good case of which came first, chicken or egg.

Making very good parallel drivers is simple enough math; of bit size desired with rod size and cutter diameter for the offsets. Cut conventional, not climb, with smallest 4-flute endmill long enough for rod diameter. It's easier to index than compensate axis backlash, by repeating same conventional motion.
    Do three passes; roughing, finishing after measuring, spring cut.
    If it was good enough at the Weatherby South Gate Gun Shop in an Auto-5 Browning with crazy narrow but wide screw heads, well, it's good enough!
    Use oil or water hardening drill rod, they'll last you forever once heat treated and drawn back. If it should break, cut off an inch and re-do.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    It's more than having a properly ground set of drivers. I have a good set of gunsmith drivers but, regardless, I'd gladly hammer the nails into the crucifix bearing the inventor of slotted screws. Square or hex drive self-center the driver and eliminate cam out plus can be made to hold the fastener on the driver when working where fingers can't reach.

Don't ask me about Phillips head. If I had the inventor on the boards, I'd use fine pitch sheet metal screws in place of the nails.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    <<<<snip>>>>
    Don't ask me about Phillips head. If I had the inventor on the boards, I'd use fine pitch sheet metal screws in place of the nails.
    Agreed there, bet that's not his real name either... the certain king of worst drive methods.
    Or he went underground, equivalent to witness-protection program.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information