Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Adding a section to an oil rig drill - GIF

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Waaaay too easy to get caught up in your work. That, and the skilled work, would be a large part of the reason they get paid the big bucks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    Waaaay too easy to get caught up in your work. That, and the skilled work, would be a large part of the reason they get paid the big bucks.
    Having worked as a roughneck I can attest to the trust me you are worth every penny you get paid on a rig floor the flip side of that is if the driller see that you are not pulling your weight and causing your co workers to take up the slack you wont be there for very long and any pay scale. Then there is the tool pusher breathing down the drillers neck I've also been a driller so I know the reason why that guy is called a pusher as the driller you are the main TOOL of the crew this means you are the TOOL which is constantly being pushed to higher production.
    The tool pusher is pressured by the drilling superintendent who is pressured by his higher ups so it is all a vicious cycle and everyday in the patch is a holiday unless you are making a trip

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (May 30, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (May 26, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I was working as daylight driller once when we showed up to relive morning tower the first thing I noticed was the rig was dogged off not turning to the right as it should have been the mud pump sitting there just chugging away and zero pressure on the gage and a very high volume of mud returning to the pits. I asked the morning tower driller what was going on We got stuck then when it broke loose we lost pressure so we dogged it off.
    How long ago did this happen I asked.
    about 4 hours he said.
    And you didn't call Fred the tool pusher I asked?
    He would have made us trip out of the hole he said
    Yeah and now you think that my crew is going to do what you should have done well I got news for you, you are still going to make the trip so you might as well get started but before you do pull up a couple of feet I want to get a read on the string weight.
    Why he asked. Because I want to determine if we are going to have to go fishing or not.
    It turned out that the change over stub had twisted off right above the collars which meant we had to locate an a fishing tool to put on the end of the string and try an get it to slip over the collars to retrieve them.
    What a holiday that turned out to be a 25,000 lb set of collars with an 8 5/8 button bit stuck on bottom the bore hole with a 4 hour wash out 2500 feet down hole
    So much for having a worm drill crew on morning tower
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (May 30, 2020)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I was working as daylight driller once when we showed up to relive morning tower... So much for having a worm drill crew on morning tower
    Unfamiliar with most of the jargon. But damned if I didn't understand everything you just said.

Thanks
    that looks like damn hard, dangerous work! Not my cup of tea!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information