Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lathe chamfering tool that gets into tight inside bores.

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools

Lathe chamfering tool that gets into tight inside bores.

I use Style D and E brazed ceramic lathe tools, as well hand ground HSS tool bits on my lathes for chamfering operations. The problem is the lack of clearance with all these tools if you want to chamfer the inside edge of a hole drilled using the lathe, especially if it's a small bore.
    So I was searching on the internet for a tool that I could purchase, when I hit on this guys web site.
    https://docsmachine.com/projects/misc/chamfertool.html

I procured some HSS 9.5mm blanks from eBay. I used the side of my surface grinder wheel to put the 45 degree point (90 degree included angle).
    I used the 5C spin indexer for this operation;
    Lathe chamfering tool that gets into tight inside bores.-45-degree-point.jpg

Pretty much I used the same process to grind the cutting edge to the HSS blank using a 5C square block, this ensures both ground cutters are in the same plane so when installed in the quick change holder, I can rotate to square to the work or parallel to the spindle;
    Lathe chamfering tool that gets into tight inside bores.-5c-collet-block-grinder.jpg

I use the 400 and 100 series of quick change tool holders between my small and large lathe so I made 2 of these chamfer cutting tool bits.
    Lathe chamfering tool that gets into tight inside bores.-402-tool-holder.jpg

I'm very pleased with how these work.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to metric_taper For This Useful Post:

Crossslide (May 29, 2020), Jon (Jun 4, 2020), Paul Jones (May 29, 2020), rossbotics (Jun 1, 2020), Seedtick (May 29, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks metric_taper! We've added your Small Bore Chamfering Tool to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: metric_taper's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information