Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jack stands

Thanks
    Thanked 1,834 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Safety pins.

Even that its really difficult to remove pin, when there is weight on it. Personally i think, nearly impossible.

But, because there is always that small possibility, i made new safety pins to stands.

Jack stands-11.jpg Jack stands-12.jpg

Now, its really difficult to even imagine that pins could be removed accidentally when there is weight on the stands.
    You really need to work for it to make it happen.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 24, 2020), sossol (May 22, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 22, 2020), Tule (May 23, 2020)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Jack stands but Jill lays if you ask her nicely. (old mechanics joke)

2000 Tool Plans
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Harbor Freight has a recall on 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands for a collapsing issue,
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu....of-collapsing/

The Harbor Freight jack stands that we've all bought, borrowed or seen in our friends' garages are being recalled due to a risk of collapsing under load. Go check yours immediately.
    In a recall filed with the NHTSA on March 20 of this year, Harbor Freight explains that certain 6-ton jack stands have the potential to disengage their support pawl under shifting weight, causing the stand to drop suddenly. A second recall, filed May 3, extends the recall to 3-ton jack stands. The defect is attributed to aging tooling at the factory that produced the jack stands.

Harbor Freight
    The recall document says that the problem could affect more than 450,000 6-ton jack stands produced between 2013 and 2019 and nearly 1.3 million 3-ton jack stands produced between 2012 and 2020. These jack stands were sold under the Pittsburg brand name, and can be identified by item numbers 56371 or 61196 on 3-ton models, and 61197 on 6-ton models.
    Harbor Freight urges anybody in possession of affected jack stands to return them to the store in exchange for a gift card equal to the price of the stands. Any unsold jack stands covered by the recall have been removed from stores. Check on your buddies and spread the word around—these jack stands are ubiquitous, and a failure like this could be fatal.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Link wasn't working.

Here is working link: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...of-collapsing/
    Last edited by Tuomas; May 23, 2020 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks

diyfixman's Tools
    wow It's super amazing

Amazing Videos and DIY Guides, Explanations, Tips, Tricks and Much More...
    Facebook Page | YouTube channel

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    It is really important that people see this.

Beyond that jack stands are rated in pairs, which many do not realize. The ASME standard is rather BS so I'm not sure we can blame china on this one. At one time there was a tonnage cut off, for the pair rating, but in the end I honestly believe most home made stands are actually safer than the commercial stands. I do believe the standard was updated, possibly in 2015, so those old jack stands are not worth a dime. Somethings should only be recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredFAE View Post
    Harbor Freight has a recall on 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands for a collapsing issue,

The Harbor Freight jack stands that we've all bought, borrowed or seen in our friends' garages are being recalled due to a risk of collapsing under load. Go check yours immediately.
    In a recall filed with the NHTSA on March 20 of this year, Harbor Freight explains that certain 6-ton jack stands have the potential to disengage their support pawl under shifting weight, causing the stand to drop suddenly. A second recall, filed May 3, extends the recall to 3-ton jack stands. The defect is attributed to aging tooling at the factory that produced the jack stands.

Harbor Freight
    The recall document says that the problem could affect more than 450,000 6-ton jack stands produced between 2013 and 2019 and nearly 1.3 million 3-ton jack stands produced between 2012 and 2020. These jack stands were sold under the Pittsburg brand name, and can be identified by item numbers 56371 or 61196 on 3-ton models, and 61197 on 6-ton models.
    Harbor Freight urges anybody in possession of affected jack stands to return them to the store in exchange for a gift card equal to the price of the stands. Any unsold jack stands covered by the recall have been removed from stores. Check on your buddies and spread the word around—these jack stands are ubiquitous, and a failure like this could be fatal.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Tuomas

That is one great video and a very nice set of jack stands.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Tuomas (Jun 1, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yea, i bought some 3 ton jack stands from hf about 5 months ago. They were a new number according to the employee. So i bought them. Glad i did because their number is not on the list, so far. But the design and operation is all wrong to me. There is no engagement of the teeth. The engaging pawl only jams against the teeth. So i may still return them if i can find a proper reasonable set of stands.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredFAE View Post

The Harbor Freight jack stands....<snipped>
    The defect is attributed to aging tooling at the factory that produced the jack stands.

Harbor Freight
    Yeah, I guess that's possible; when the tooling is third rate to start with.
    Take auto manufacturing for example; castings, forgings, formed parts, stampings, drawn parts,...name a previous occurrence of 'aging tooling', especially safety items had such an excuse after less than half-million products. I've never seen a high volume fixture that did not have records monitoring usage, rejections, or maintenance.
    Another fine example of a less than global mindset on the part of CEO's, factories and importers.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    As mentioned. Support can be used for lifting car from the rear, or front too.

Jack stands-img_20200908_134603.jpg

Easy to adjust widht suitable, lift up and place jack stands under the lifting support, or axle.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 9, 2020), Rangi (Sep 9, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Sep 8, 2020), Tule (Sep 9, 2020)

Thread Information