Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A use for swarf chips

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

A use for swarf chips

Probably not many have ever had much use for their swarf, but there are times when it can be the best tool for the job
    I use mine all the time. I have used the very fine dust like chips as soil amendments
    I have used the long curly tendrils from drill presses as rebar in concrete castings
    I have packed swarf in the eves of houses to discourage squirrels and birds.
    Once I even used some stainless steel drilling swarf on top of a fence to serve as razor wire at a business I had in a city a long time ago.
    So yesterday I caught a snake in my chicken house, in spite of our burying barbed wire and sheet metal around the chicken pen when we added on to it years ago snakes have discovered a way to get inside of the older preexisting portion and yesterday I managed to find out how they were getting in when the snake trying to exit got stuck with the dozen eggs in its belly.
    Here is what I did to prevent this from happening again
    A use for swarf chips-wp_20200602_18_43_39_richck.jpg

A use for swarf chips-wp_20200602_19_08_16_richck.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 4, 2020), baja (Jun 4, 2020), bigtrev8xl (Jun 4, 2020), DIYer (Jun 3, 2020), dubbby (Jun 8, 2020), Gadgeteer (Dec 20, 2023), hansgoudzwaard (Jun 7, 2020), high-side (Jun 4, 2020), Inner (Jun 3, 2020), jg1053 (Jun 3, 2020), Jon (Jun 4, 2020), Little Rabbit (Jun 4, 2020), marksbug (Jun 4, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jan 24, 2023), NortonDommi (Jun 3, 2020), nova_robotics (Jan 23, 2023), Paul Jones (Jun 3, 2020), rdarrylb (Jan 23, 2023), rebuilder1954 (Jun 3, 2020), sak778 (Jun 7, 2020), Seedtick (Jun 3, 2020), shopandmath (Jun 5, 2020), sossol (Jun 3, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jun 3, 2020), will52100 (Jun 3, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Chicken House Pest Control to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Snakes ? What kind of Snake ?
    Frank, where you live appears quite exotic to me ��
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Christophe Mineau View Post
    Snakes ? What kind of Snake ?
    Frank, where you live appears quite exotic to me ��
    It was just a bull snake about 5 & 1/2 feet long he could have lived in peace out in the woods had he not developed a taste for eggs. Our eggs are a small cash crop for us, we sell enough to pay for the chicken feed and still accumulate some to boot plus it lets us have eggs for breakfast every morning. So anything that upsets the natural flow of things has a short life expectancy

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jun 4, 2020), Gadgeteer (Dec 20, 2023), Paul Jones (Jun 3, 2020), rdarrylb (Jan 23, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jun 3, 2020), will52100 (Jun 3, 2020)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    I like your perspective, Frank

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 3, 2020)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    How did you cook him?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    How did you cook him?
    I guess he chopped him up and scrambled the dozen eggs. I usually find that much shells when I scramble...OR boil him, that'd even work better!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    We have Garter snakes, King snakes, Gopher snakes and Rattlesnakes on our property in California. All get to live except for the rattlers . Probably 10 years ago I accidentally scoped an 18" baby rattler by the head with my gloves. I looked at this wiggling thing in my gloves and saw the diamond stripes. That was one of those "Oh Sh-t" moments and chucked the baby rattler on the ground.and got my flat-blade shove. Took its head clean off and kept its two segment rattle. I was lucky to pick it up by the head but did not see it while removing the spent grey lavender seeds/flowers Just grey on grey. This was in April and our worst month for rattlesnakes. I do a lot of brush clearing on our property and never walk backwards just in case there may be a rattlesnake too slow to move away from the noise of the brush cutters. I always have my cell phone with me in case I need to dial 911

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 4, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have used the long curly tendrils from drill presses as rebar in concrete castings
    I seem to remember that's exactly what vault building companies do to make the pre-fab panels,
    adding swarf to the pretty dry concrete mix, vibrating the molds for hours.
    I did a fast check and that's about what I found.

Thus purportedly getting more 10 times more ruggedness from today's 3" panel than the old 18" conventional concrete pour.
    Then as an added benefit - the swarf probably also diverting the heat from a villain's torch -
    making the wall "impossible to cut".
    What they actually add to the mix is shrouded in the mystery of "proprietary info", of course...

-So, what swarf are they actually using?
    Stainless for ruggedness? Aluminum for heat conductivity? "Tungsten swarf", if even existant, for the highest melting point?

Link: How bank vault is made - material, history, used, parts, product, industry, History, Raw Materials, Design

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Jun 7, 2020), Little Rabbit (Jun 4, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    I seem to remember that's exactly what vault building companies do to make the pre-fab panels,
    adding swarf to the pretty dry concrete mix, vibrating the molds for hours.
    I did a fast check and that's about what I found.

Thus purportedly getting more 10 times more ruggedness from today's 3" panel than the old 18" conventional concrete pour.
    Then as an added benefit - the swarf probably also diverting the heat from a villain's torch -
    making the wall "impossible to cut".
    What they actually add to the mix is shrouded in the mystery of "proprietary info", of course...

-So, what swarf are they actually using?
    Stainless for ruggedness? Aluminum for heat conductivity? "Tungsten swarf", if even existant, for the highest melting point?

Link: How bank vault is made - material, history, used, parts, product, industry, History, Raw Materials, Design
    a long time ago I made a gun vault for a friend of mine out of 3/8" thick steel and lined it with 2 1/2" of concrete the door had a 7 bolt lock system but the real clincher was as I poured the concrete in the door I added crushed carbide cutters and ball bearings in the area where the combination lock mounted and swarf throughout the pours of sides of the entire vault The hinges were concealed inside of the box as opposed to the way most vaults are made then the interior was finished by another friend with 1" thick cedar finished inside dimensions were 72" tall 24" wide and 18" deep making it 80' x 32'x26" outside all dimensions approximate I have no idea how much it weighed but I would guess well over a ton. I told him when we set the combination to make dang sure it was something that he could never forget because a lock smith who would normally know where to drill into the door near the combination lock would never be able to drill the hole. the only way into that safe would have been to completely destroy it by cutting it up. He owned 3 guns that required the federal tax stamp to own one of them worth well over half a million dollars in 1998 money or so he said I never saw them.
    I probably still have some of the drawings I made while designing the hinge and lock system somewhere on one of my hard drives

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Jun 7, 2020), hansgoudzwaard (Jun 7, 2020), Little Rabbit (Jun 4, 2020)

Thread Information