Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Thread Identifier Caddy

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv, I worked 25 years for a major oil company in oil and gas exploration. We used both metric and imperial measurements on each single project. It was insane. I had to triple check all my calculations to make sure we were drilling exactly to total depth. The wells cost $10 million+ each and the worst case was going too shallow or too deep because of a metric/imperial conversion error.
    The worst thing is for a country to attempt a gradual shift from inferial to metric as is the case in Canada and the UK. Thankfully, the Gimli Glider didn't kill anyone but only because they were lucky. Ultimately, mixing the two systems will kill people; probably has already and was secreted in the media.

Unfortunately, here in the dumbed down USA, the gradual introduction of metric has only led to a situation where the majority now has two measurement systems it doesn't understand.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    Why buy those clumsy things when you already have the easiest way ever of checking threads, you can even keep this wondrous tool in your pocket eliminating that clumsy block of wood set-up alltogether. Oh, you can get them either in Metric or Mongrel as well.

Or, am I missing something here ? ---------------------------

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealey-2...wAAOSwunBbF5fN

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    The thread gage gage works well but the tread measurement must include not only the number of threads but also the screw diameter. You can measure the screw diameter with calipers and then use the thread gage. The metric screw diameters are easier and more predictable than the imperial screw diameters. I own two metric and three imperial thread gages but typically use these for checking single point threading on my metal lathes. The worst case is propriety thread sizes like the ones used in Starrett tools. In these cases only a caliper and a thread gage will work. Here is a good example where I had to use a three wire method to exactly measure a propriety sized thread ( Brass Clamping Screw for Starrett V-Blocks ). Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Why buy those clumsy things when you already have the easiest way ever of checking threads, you can even keep this wondrous tool in your pocket eliminating that clumsy block of wood set-up alltogether. Oh, you can get them either in Metric or Mongrel as well.

Or, am I missing something here ? ---------------------------

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealey-2...wAAOSwunBbF5fN
    Perhaps the major thing you're missing is tact.

Let's see...

Two thread gauges minimum (inferial and metric), perhaps more if working anywhere near stuff made in the UK or its colonies.
    Calipers to measure diameters
    Cheat sheet in case you can't solve the diameter to numbered bolt size equation in your head
    Magnifier to detect those threads with near identical pitches
    Flashlight so you can see what you're doing, especially if the stud is on the underside of the too heavy to lift structure

Better have really big pockets.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 6, 2020)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    OK Marv, I'll have to agree, to disagree with you, on this lot.

So your working on site and your trying to tell me to lug that abomination around up on some scaffold, nope, sorry, I'll carry around the easy to use thread gauge.
    You only need a 'standard size pocket' for thread gauges.

Think a few persons are trying to reinvent the wheel at times, why bother, eh ?

Oh, by the way, here in one of England's colonies, we have used that wondrous measurement called Metric for decades now, like over 50 yrs.
    That M-O-N-G-R-E-L system, favoured by only 2 backward countries in the world, proves just how far out of touch they are, with the rest of the world.
    Last edited by greenie; Jun 6, 2020 at 07:12 PM.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thread Identifier Caddy-image.jpg
    My next project calls for wingnuts to fit 3/8” BSF thread. I often spend an evening sorting through garnered nuts, bolts, screws - the guys at work frequently muddle up the stock (“Philip, do you have a nut which fits my bike?”). Although they have been instructed to only TAKE OUT THINGS from cabinets, they seem to think they are doing everyone a favour by putting back soddments RANDOMLY!
    These are temporary caddies to assist my search
    Thread Identifier Caddy-d34a1f79-5b16-4026-a38f-7af5b6f2e0bd.jpg
    These cabinets contain about a third of my stock of steel nuts and bolts, and, since there are some duplications, and some threads which are unidentified, I am going to go through them sometime to rationalise.
    Thread Identifier Caddy-89c1afc8-8cd5-4d06-a01b-aaf462a1b4a6.jpg
    This is the result of going through the milk jug of assorted wingnuts.
    I found only ONE wingnut that was BSF 3/8”.
    The cabinets incidentally contain only ISO, BSW and BA nuts and bolts. I have the means to identify NF, BSF and BSP, but have very few examples.
    Thread Identifier Caddy-image.jpg
    These must have come from an antique piece of furniture. I defy anybody to identify the thread!
    Regarding the comment about Starrett threads and other proprietary threads, the difficulty I have encountered most frequently is sourcing nuts to repair hand planes.
    Hope you like my contribution to this interesting thread.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jun 9, 2023), Paul Jones (Jul 7, 2020)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Looks like a very poorly formed, or very worn, Acme thread to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jul 6, 2020)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Thanks, NeilJohn. It’s a V-thread, 60 degrees, I think. If you like, I’ll post a pair to you!

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Er, no, ta. I have more than enough 'stuff' to look after as it is... Thanks all the same!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information