Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Polynesian navigation device - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

Polynesian navigation device - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 9, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jul 8, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Aug 25, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have several from yap and ulithi .

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jul 8, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It must have worked, but regulating or calibration?
    Was going to jibe about doing knots, far too obvious.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Those are maps of the stars and islands. They had differant ones depending on the direction they were going. The people there traveled far and wide. Would add a piece if a new island was found. A guy from satawal guided the hawaiian canoe from hawaii to tahiti using those and other means but no electronics.The islanders were master navigators and could hit small atolls within sight. How do you think they traveled back then ? I remember a huge canoe arrive in yap from ulithi if i remember correctly, using just these navigation pieces.
    That was in the mid 50s ? Long ago one went from some island to guam and caused a stir as it was the first time most had seen this in actual life. As a kid i learned how to sail a smaller canoe but the ocean ones were huge. So yea, they are real and they worked rather well. This is my memory of them. Maybe look them up for better info. Yes, i lived on yap till i was 10. Went back often enough till 1971.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Aug 25, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jul 9, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Amazing how much we knowledge/technology the human race has lost over the years. Good stuff, important to real survival. As new ways are developed, the old are soon forgotten, especially those that were only recorded in the minds or those using them and passed down directly to the next generation.

I is becoming apparent we have invented our way into a corner. I do hope and pray we can find our way forward.

"In the Year 2525 (Exordium and Terminus)" is a hit song from 1969 by the American pop-rock duo of Dennis Zager and Richard Evans.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Amazing how much we knowledge/technology the human race has lost over the years. Good stuff, important to real survival. As new ways are developed, the old are soon forgotten, especially those that were only recorded in the minds or those using them and passed down directly to the next generation.

I is becoming apparent we have invented our way into a corner. I do hope and pray we can find our way forward.

"In the Year 2525 (Exordium and Terminus)" is a hit song from 1969 by the American pop-rock duo of Dennis Zager and Richard Evans.
    This certainly hits me center of mass. That perspective is addressed often, haunting me long as I can remember, and recently as yesterday. Usually it's related to trades, craftsmanship, cooking etc; those efforts that combine detail - intuition - knowledge of related pursuits. Then offshoring and idiotic dependence on a service economy. Then just as impactful, blind acceptance of the 'marketing' related to COVID-19 over logic, science, common health practices...
    A long line of bank customers, 95% plus making special effort to stand directly on their floor sticker, maintaining 6 foot spacing. People masked; sitting lone on their front yard, in cars windows rolled up, walking without a soul around...

Polynesian navigation device - photo-6_feet-hah.jpg
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Aug 25, 2021)

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    My dad was in the central Pacific in WWII and he told me of an experiment that the Navy conducted with a native navigator. They put him on a PBY blindfolded and flew him all over the region, stopping at various places and asking him to point in the direction back to his home. They found that he was always within a few degrees even though they took him to places that he said that he had never been before. Those navigators had a way of analyzing the wave intersections and were able to deduce where they were from the wave interactions from adjacent land masses.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Thread Information