Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cartridge disassembly tool - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Chlor (Jul 8, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I like it. Kind of a dead blow hammer.
    I have a lever operated cartridge disassembler. *smirk*

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The kinetic ballet puller has been around for 50 + years, that's how long I have had mine, and it's a RCBS one, like the one in the video. Great tool.
    When the three piece collet starts losing it's grip, or can't hold onto a rim for any reason, the LEE Precision Universal Shell Holder Set, available in a set of 11 , from Midway USA, Brownell's, Natchez Shooters Supply, Ballistic Products, Graf and Sons, Amazon, and probably a dozen other spots for about $36 will work just fine, better actually as they get a better grip on the rim of the shell, whether it is a rebated rim, rimless , or rimmed round. And that shell holder set will handle cartridges that the three piece collet really can't get a grip on. Sold hundreds of both the kinetic bullet puller (also made by other sources such as Lyman, Redding, Lee, etc.) and the shell holders during 40 years of owning a gun shop. Very useful tool, sooner or later every re-loader needs one!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetiredFAE For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 9, 2020), Jon (Jul 9, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 8, 2020)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredFAE View Post
    The kinetic ballet puller has been around for 50 + years, that's how long I have had mine, and it's a RCBS one, like the one in the video. Great tool. Very useful tool, sooner or later every re-loader needs one!
    Yup, as long as the case isn't over crimped into a light-weight lead bullet, had a batch of my long departed fathers reloads, we had several shared rifles on both of our licences, like that that wouldn't chamber as he'd not sized them, couldn't 'pull' the bullets actually managed to break mine trying so ended up cutting them off at the shoulder for safe destruction & disposal.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Bullets that are heavily crimped at the case mouth can be pulled most of the time with the collet type puller that mounts in the reloading press in place of a die, but not always.
    Military surplus ammo also often has a strong crimp AND lacquer sealing the neck, helps with those to take a sharp knife and run it around the neck/bullet junction and cut the lacquer seal to free up the projectile.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Yup. I use a collet bullet puller in my press and I rarely run into one that I can't pull and normally the pulled bullets aren't deformed and can be reloaded in another round.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thread Information