Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stair steady - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

Stair steady - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jul 11, 2020), carloski (Sep 24, 2022), Duke_of_URL (Jul 10, 2020), Jon (Jul 11, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jul 12, 2020), Moby Duck (Jul 10, 2020), Scotty12 (Jul 10, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 11, 2020)

Thanks
    Gives you a good upper body workout when using it too. Hopefully the person won't lose their grip and fall backward.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 605 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I don't like it. The HSS that slides over the handrail is centered on the bar. That's wrong. That means it binds up in both directions. If they would have left it longer on one side it would become directional. It would slide in one direction (i.e. going upstairs) and bind when you pull down on it. Way more user friendly.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I don't like it. The HSS that slides over the handrail is centered on the bar. That's wrong. That means it binds up in both directions. If they would have left it longer on one side it would become directional. It would slide in one direction (i.e. going upstairs) and bind when you pull down on it. Way more user friendly.
    Yes but there is a trade off when it comes to the length of the friction lock a little too long and it will not grip at all.
    The thing I would be more inclined to be concerned about would be in descending the stair Those were steep stairways no way to alter that as in an existing structure.
    The problem with steeper stairways is the handrails themselves while they may be the perfect height for able bodied persons ascending or descending when you have to rely heavily on a handrail to climb the stairs it also means the same is true for the inverse But this device must be out in front of you which will mean the person will have a tendency to be leaning forward making the location of it much lower in proportion to their body height For this reason some older structures with the steeper stairways sometimes require an additional railing installed with a height difference of 1 to 1 and 1/4 the riser height allowing for is a person does have to lean into their steps and use a device such as this the mass of their upper body weight is not above their grip point

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information