Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bump Switch

Thanks

Geffre's Tools

Bump Switch

Bump switch.
    Bump Switch-img_0001.jpgBump Switch-img_9998.jpgBump Switch-img_9997.jpgBump Switch-img_9996.jpgBump Switch-img_9995.jpgBump Switch-img_9994.jpgBump Switch-img_9978.jpgBump Switch-img_9977.jpgBump Switch-img_9976.jpgBump Switch-img_9975.jpgBump Switch-img_9999.jpg

Link to video of the action.

The best safety gear is between your ears. Stay alert, stay awake, stay sober so you can stay alive. Also, if I had the money, there is a brand of saw I would “stop” traffic to bring home. But in the mean time, I use older saws trying always to use my best safety feature.

Older table saws have lots of great features. Iron table for magnetic jugs, belt driven for quieter performance, replaceable motor so increased power is only a swap away.

However, safety features are more dependent on the user. One problem I tried to solve is the switch. Most older saws use a light switch, which is cheap and easy for people to replace. However, you need to take one hand of the work to operate it.

Bump switches are much safer since you do not need to take your hands or your eyes of your project. Most accidents happen when we are distracted. If the switch is at hip level, an easy bump can shut down the whirling finger snatcher.

I used what I had around the shop; wood, printer parts, and glue. I purchased the toggle switch and the face plate, under $4.

I hung the bump plate above the switch so that it would hit the off section of the switch. The spring is from a printer I disassembled, along with the rubber wheels.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Geffre; Jul 8, 2020 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Added video link.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Geffre For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jul 13, 2020), Jon (Jul 12, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jul 8, 2020), Paul Jones (Jul 13, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 8, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    I'm, usually, pretty good at discerning how something operates, but I'm not seeing this one. Do you have a video you can post that shows how the bump switch functions? Thanks!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Geffre's Tools
    Needed to figure how to post a video. Ended up adding a YouTube link instead.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Makes perfect sense, now. Thanks!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Geffre! We've added your Bump Switch to our Switches category,
    as well as to your builder page: Geffre's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

katy's Tools
    You talk about safety and then the cables going into the switch box are unsafe. The one on the left has an improper connector and from what I can see, the one on the right doesn't even have a connector.

Thanks

Geffre's Tools
    I will have to fix that. What is the correct connection?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by katy View Post
    You talk about safety and then the cables going into the switch box are unsafe. The one on the left has an improper connector and from what I can see, the one on the right doesn't even have a connector.
    Good catch, katy! I was so interested to see how the bump switch worked, I missed the wiring.

Thanks

Convoluted

Quote Originally Posted by Geffre View Post
    Bump switch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	35713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9998.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	35722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9997.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	35721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9996.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	35720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9995.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	35719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9994.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	35718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9978.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	35717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9977.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	35716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9976.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	35715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9975.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	35714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9999.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	35723

Link to video of the action.

The best safety gear is between your ears. Stay alert, stay awake, stay sober so you can stay alive. Also, if I had the money, there is a brand of saw I would “stop” traffic to bring home. But in the mean time, I use older saws trying always to use my best safety feature.

Older table saws have lots of great features. Iron table for magnetic jugs, belt driven for quieter performance, replaceable motor so increased power is only a swap away.

However, safety features are more dependent on the user. One problem I tried to solve is the switch. Most older saws use a light switch, which is cheap and easy for people to replace. However, you need to take one hand of the work to operate it.

Bump switches are much safer since you do not need to take your hands or your eyes of your project. Most accidents happen when we are distracted. If the switch is at hip level, an easy bump can shut down the whirling finger snatcher.

I used what I had around the shop; wood, printer parts, and glue. I purchased the toggle switch and the face plate, under $4.

I hung the bump plate above the switch so that it would hit the off section of the switch. The spring is from a printer I disassembled, along with the rubber wheels.

That sort of switch is already a bump switch. To make it easier to bump, simply hinge (in the same manner as you have) a flat 2" x 4" board with a hole in it. Use the hole to push the switch on. Bump the board to turn off. No need for a spring.

Thanks

katy's Tools
    You can use either straight or angle connectors. Sometimes the cable is too small for the connector so you have to build it up, DO NOT use tape to enlarge the cable as it will gradually slip over time. Strip the jacket off of an extra piece of cable and wrap it around the cable.
    Name:  straight cable connector.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  6.8 KB
    Name:  angle cable connector.png
Views: 602
Size:  7.9 KB

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by katy; Jul 13, 2020 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information