Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Garaj Mahal accessory table

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Garaj Mahal accessory table

Horizontal space in Garaj Mahal (my garage shop) is VERY limited and precious. Long ago I hit upon a temporary solution that worked well enough that now it is a permanent accessory.

I bolted a piece of 2 x 4 to the front edge of the work bench a previous owner of the house had graciously installed. Two vertical holes were bored into it to provide a slip fit to two truncated 3/8" bolts.

Garaj Mahal accessory table-ftable-1.jpg
    The accessory table consists of a piece of 3/4" plywood to which has been hinged a box frame "leg" made of 2 x 2s. I always intended to put some diagonal braces on the leg but it works well without same and I never got around to doing it. As the picture below shows, this assembly folds flat enough to fit into most slots between machines or tool cabinets...

Garaj Mahal accessory table-ftable-2.jpg

This picture shows the "leg" partially extended...

Garaj Mahal accessory table-ftable-3.jpg

In use, the accessory table is put onto the 2 x 4 "ledge" attached to the work bench and adjusted to line up the holes in the top with those in the ledge. The bolts are dropped through the holes to lock the table in place and prevent it from sliding off the ledge, which could be both dangerous or disastrous. Again, I could have added a lock to the leg to prevent it folding when extended but it never seemed to be a problem so I didn't. If you construct something similar, think about your personal situation and add appropriate safety features.

Garaj Mahal accessory table-ftable-4.jpg

The table works very well. It has several features that are important to me...

As shown, the bench motor projects out over the table (this wasn't accidental). I can clamp sanding/grinding jigs to the table and use the motor directly.

I can walk around three sides of the table which makes getting the most comfortable body placement for the job at hand easy.

I can clamp work to be sawn so as to project over the edge of the table.

For sit-down work I can sit on a stool and get my legs under the table, something I can't do at the workbench proper.

By far though, the most important feature is that I CANNOT get my car into the garage (yes, Garaj still houses two full size cars every day) with the table in place. That means that the table MUST be cleared and stored when the workday is over. No sedimentary build-up of tools and half-finished projects can occur because of this mandatory daily tsunami.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Jul 16, 2020), high-side (Jul 23, 2020), Jon (Jul 16, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have been needing a moveable or temporary project table. As my shop is very small, another object on the floor is a no go. Also as im in a wheelchair, putting stuff on the wall is basically a no go. Been thinking of what to do and this pops up and my light bulb goes off in my brain. Yep, it will be perfect for a spot in my shop. Great for temp work but doesnt have to be permanent. Thank you !

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Workshop Accessory Table to our Workbenches category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,393 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    I have been needing a moveable or temporary project table. As my shop is very small, another object on the floor is a no go. Also as im in a wheelchair, putting stuff on the wall is basically a no go. Been thinking of what to do and this pops up and my light bulb goes off in my brain. Yep, it will be perfect for a spot in my shop. Great for temp work but doesnt have to be permanent. Thank you !
    I'm pleased that you found the concept useful for you.

There are probably many small titivations that might prove useful...

Inlet a metal plate into the table top so that power tools such as a saber saw or Dremel router could be mounted on the underside; some tools are best used upside down.

Drill some holes and mount T-nuts

https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Dropper-...4918843&sr=8-4

on the underside so that your work can be bolted/clamped directly to the table.

Add a lip to the table edges so that small items/tools can't roll off. Think of making the lip from compressible weather stripping as I did here...

One liners
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the rest of the ideas. The t nuts will help my mount my leather stitching pony, etc. Thanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information