Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Brilliant Tapping Trick on the lathe or mill

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools

Brilliant Tapping Trick on the lathe or mill

Many of you will know this trick, but I only learned it recently. I read about it in an article or letter in Model Engineer's Workshop magazine and had to try it. I was sick to death of breaking taps and this is a fantastic way of not breaking taps and getting a perfect thread every time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 29, 2020), Carnel (Sep 23, 2020), Corm (Sep 23, 2020), fizzloid (Sep 29, 2023), H.L (Sep 23, 2020), Home-PC (Sep 23, 2020), Jon (Oct 14, 2020), nova_robotics (Sep 22, 2020), Scotty1 (Jan 10, 2023), Scotty12 (Sep 22, 2020), Sleykin (Sep 22, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 9, 2023), trigger (Sep 27, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is a very good idea. The De-Speeder as shown may be difficult to find. But most everyone as an old rechargeable drill. I have collected at least 5 in a box from over the years. All of the ones I have use planetary gears to "de-speed" the little high speed motor and multiply torque for the drill. While it would take a little modification to make one into a tapping tool as show, all the important parts you need are there.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Sep 22, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 9, 2023)

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    IIRC the de-speeders were intended so you could use an OG drill for running screws in. Before variable speed reversible drills. I think I have one around here with 2 rings on it. one makes it go forward and the other backs it off.
    I also have a couple tapping heads for the drill press and mill, might work well on the lathe too?

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Thanks hemmjo. They do come up on Ebay quite regularly, at least here in the UK, but I always assumed, maybe wrongly that Rawlplug was a US company. Also, your idea sounds very sound.

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleykin View Post
    IIRC the de-speeders were intended so you could use an OG drill for running screws in. Before variable speed reversible drills. I think I have one around here with 2 rings on it. one makes it go forward and the other backs it off.
    I also have a couple tapping heads for the drill press and mill, might work well on the lathe too?
    Thanks for explaining. I will add your info to my video's description if that's ok.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Sep 23, 2020)

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    Sure... although that is just my memory. I know I used them for screws before I had the VSR drill.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,248 Times in 9,724 Posts

Thanks anthonyget! We've added your Lathe Tapping Technique to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: anthonyget's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Rawlplug seems a familiar brand here, though cannot recall the trademark. There are 2 (if not more) versions, but reducing RPM and increasing torque are the intent. Reversible combine those and are well suited driving taps. They'll turn up easily enough on auction sites.
    Don't confuse with tapping heads, nearly all depend on a turning drive spindle and tommy bar.
    Here, IIRC one common brand is 'Versamatic', among other is another is 'Versa Driver' and 'Versa Tap'.
    One known exception is the Hardinge TT, a terrific device works in either instance, many find cost prohibitive combined with the proprietary collets. But with a reversing spindle, its very compact, the pin (dog) clutch controls depth perfectly. Holds 0 size to 1/2" tap shanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jan 9, 2023 at 09:43 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information