Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Stabilising wood for knife scales. First attempt

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools

Stabilising wood for knife scales. First attempt

A good friend gave me some beautiful pieces of fruit wood, apple, plum and some laburnum. It was about a year away from being dry enough to work for knife handles. I wanted to learn how to stabilise the wood to save fiem.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 2, 2020), Canyonman44 (Oct 1, 2020), Carnel (Oct 2, 2020), DIYer (Oct 5, 2020), Floradawg (Oct 4, 2020), high-side (Oct 1, 2020), Jon (Oct 8, 2020), Moby Duck (Jun 24, 2023), wolfpaak (Dec 2, 2023)

Thanks
    Just a suggestion; I would like to see the same thing making stabilized Bone. Whatcha think?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonman44 View Post
    Just a suggestion; I would like to see the same thing making stabilized Bone. Whatcha think?
    Don't see why not. as long as you need to harden porous material, it should work fine. I don't tend to work with bone, but would be interesting.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Thanks. Very interesting. I turn pens, and stabilized or in your case stabilised pen blanks are costly. A lady once gave me a beautiful section of redwood burl. Gorgeous! I cut it up into blanks and sent it off thru the mail to be stabilized and, well, they blew it. When I got them back I turned one and the result was a fuzzy useless mess. From the smell it seemed that they hadn't properly cured them and also appeared that the resin hadn't properly penetrated. The worst loss besides the cost was the loss of the wood. Your process looks like something I may try. Thank you very much. Cheers!

Charles
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks anthonyget! We've added your Wood Stabilizing Method to our Woodworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: anthonyget's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

anthonyget (Oct 5, 2020), robert_t (Nov 18, 2020)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    Thanks. Very interesting. I turn pens, and stabilized or in your case stabilised pen blanks are costly. A lady once gave me a beautiful section of redwood burl. Gorgeous! I cut it up into blanks and sent it off thru the mail to be stabilized and, well, they blew it. When I got them back I turned one and the result was a fuzzy useless mess. From the smell it seemed that they hadn't properly cured them and also appeared that the resin hadn't properly penetrated. The worst loss besides the cost was the loss of the wood. Your process looks like something I may try. Thank you very much. Cheers!

Charles
    Thank you Charles. That is terrible story about the burl. Do give it a try. It seems to be working really well. I think the key is to be patient and not rush things. I believe the curing of the resin is very key. Good luck with it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information