Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: trying to find a respirator/ filter for metal working

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools

trying to find a respirator/ filter for metal working

G'Day,

I'm starting plasma cutting and TIG welding (including grinding tungsten electrodes) and have been recommended to start using a respirator/filter.

not talking PAPR, but more one of those half face filter respirators with the changeable filters.

I saw one in a video where the half face was normal, but the filters were located over the person's shoulders - basically some semi-rigid pipes went from the mask to the back of the person, and the filters sat on the back of the shoulder. This meant the weight was more balanced, instead of hanging forwards... it also reduced the forward protrusion of the mask, allowing it to fit under a helmet easier.

does anyone know where to find one of those?
    any other feedback on suitable respiratory protection for plasma and grinding?

thanks,
    Des

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    try s.c.u.b.a. (self contained underwater breathing apparatus)

Thanks
    SCUBA is heavy and awkward to wear especially in a work environment, and you are limited by the tanks capacity,
    requiring many tanks and having the time to change and recharge them.

Thanks
    you can use long hoses. You don't even need tanks, just run the hose outside of the area. In fact, just use a respirator with a hepa filter. full face respirator with a battery pack. I did that with asbestos abatement. I hope that helps. I'll shut-up now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    In Tig welding. Most persons forgets the ozone. That's poison to your lungs, more harmfull in long run than tungsten. ( Overall dose is creater )

I have seen people welding with tig without respirator, and putting it on when grinding electrodes... Much better to use it all the time. Specially in workshops without extra good ventilation.

I succest to get motorized respirator with suitable mask.
    Those are much comfortable in use.

In Europe Esab sells good kits with a fair price. I personally have 3M adflo with speedglass mask, but those are little pricey.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Thanks everyone... the unit I'm trying to find out more about appeared in a video where someone was grinding on 2x72 belt grinder. It was red/orange colour and certainly worth looking at. A powered respirator is something I am looking at, but I don't want to be changing my welding helmet/s again if possible, so it would be a unit to fit under...

Des

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    FOUND!!!!!!!
    the unit I saw was the Resp-o-rater (http://duxterity.com/resp-o-rator/) and once I found that, I then found other links to "backpack adapters" for common half face respirator masks (3M, North) which give the same effect, but also are friendly to someone like me who is NOT sporting facial hair.

Now it's an easy case of finding a suitable vendor shipping to oz, and with suitable filter cartridges to suit.

Thanks all for the tips... turns out the video I saw it on was from RedBeardOps.

Des

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information