Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Truck swerving through heavy traffic - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 13, 2020), baja (Oct 13, 2020), jimfols (Oct 12, 2020), Marnat3 (Oct 12, 2020), nova_robotics (Oct 17, 2020)

Thanks
    I watched it 20 times yesterday and 8 times today, it still seems unbelievable.

2000 Tool Plans
    Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfols View Post
    I watched it 20 times yesterday and 8 times today, it still seems unbelievable.
    I'm trying to figure what was going on between the bus and the van there were stopping
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This driver is either simply amazing - - - or bat s*** crazy

Thanks
    Looks to me like he got caught off-guard by the vehicle stopped in front of him. He swerved to the lane to the left and was extremely lucky.
    Pat

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by high-side View Post
    Looks to me like he got caught off-guard by the vehicle stopped in front of him. He swerved to the lane to the left and was extremely lucky.
    Caught off guard or not it is extremely difficult for a truck driver to maintain the proper following distances to allow his vehicle to stop in time to avoid a crash.
    this is exasperated by the requirements of ABS in commercial vehicles. While there is no argument that antilock braking does reduce the likelihood of a jack knife when traveling on wet or icy road conditions. poorly maintained or frequent trailer swapping can cause the brakes on the trailers not to activate with as much application pressure as could be applied when this happens the tractor and trailer require much longer stopping distances than optimal.
    However the biggest problem stems not from the equipment or the drive, but from being in unpredictable heavy traffic.
    Back when I had my own rig on the road the one thing I hated worst than anything else was for my time schedule to force me to have to negotiate any large city during rush hour traffic. When ever possible I would try and find a place to wait it out by logging a break in my driving I could often times arrive at nearly the same time as I would have had I driven through the rush hour but possibly saving as much as 2 or in cases of driving in some places in CA as much as 3 hours driving time which meant I had more driving hours available. With the ELD system drivers are under today this is impossible the electronic log book time marches on the ability to halt the recorded data is severely limited.
    Any of my friends still driving swear at the ELD system. or they are in a position to pick and chose when where and what they haul.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information