Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Standards.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools

Standards.

I am of the opinion that there are companies that manufacture crap in every country. At risk of causing an international incident I am posting this video.
    Disclaimer: I have quite a few tools made in China, some machines I would never have been able to afford if not for Chinese imports. That said I know that what I have bought locally has a price and quality that is dependant on local suppliers.
    I have imported things from China privately and having done due diligence been supplied fast with top quality items at a very reasonable price so do not take this as a condemnation of all made in China - they can and do produce some of the best stuff in the world which is why many German and Swiss companies have parts made in China.

No way would I want a Carpenter using one of these,(middle one),tape measures though.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/jYLJrxqKrXaR/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 28, 2020), will52100 (Oct 28, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 605 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    That's just brutal.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    hmm....Ill bet thats why my new barn looks like it came from whoville.......

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    When I worked at a high-end cabinet shop, we had the 'Master Tape' that only got used when we needed a new tape.
    You'd take it to the hardware store and compare tapes to it to make sure everything lined up.

It certainly made installs easier.
    : - )
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    At the risk of sounding dismissive or even careless, so long as the rule is not being used with another rule, then things should come out ok. Always use the same rule throughout a project. Truth be told, it's not likely a case of Stanleys would all read the same, though I'm sure a case of Sterrets would. It really makes no actual difference what the scale is, so long as it is used consistently. One can be their own bureau of standards.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 29, 2020), marksbug (Oct 29, 2020), wolfpaak (Oct 29, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    My wife discovered is also true in the kitchen, she points out in one of her cook books that no two kitchen measures are the same. For most things it doesn't matter, but some items require accurate ratios.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jdurand For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Oct 29, 2020)

Thanks
    I thouught comment the" my wife "was going a different dIRECTION of mesurement....
    i have found about 3/8" difference in my tapes.so i keep the ones closest to the same handy and try to use only 1 for important stuff.Ive found many are the same but dont mesure the same due to the end thingy(not a clue what it is called,so ill call it a tape hook) welll on most tapes the hook is **** and bends eazely, especially of you drop it. ( I assume the expensive good tapes have a lot better hooks than mine,but I do have possibly 4 semi expensive tapes and not all have good hooks) if you think will it only bent 1/16....that aint **** in the big scheem of carpentry...but...it is. especially if you measure inside them out side or the hook stops sliding...many people think the tape measure is junk because the hook is loose and slides around... well it has to slide the thickness of the hook to measure correctly...another thing. I dont mind metric tapes...but when you cant read the lines due towhat ever.printing, lines too short,color etc..what good is the tape... I like clearly labeled tapes.with long lines where they should be medium lines where they should be and short but not so effing thin lines at their proper places and if it has fractions printed on it they should not inter fear with the lines!!!! I especially like tapes with just lines & inch numbers,highlighted 16's are ok.if it does not impeach reading the lines or reading between the lines...then there is the lock system that works great this time and next time you tape go's flying.....and why cant they make the tape to where it will stand straight up on all 6 sides????? is that too hard to do????and make it a even number you can add to what ever the tape says at the inlet....some older ones did..most now dont. then there si the cheep ass blades that crinkel all to hell the first time you use this $10 tape and the $2 harberfright tape keep on going like the energizer bunny till the spring anchor lets go as all harborfirght tapes do... and now it's time for the wife to learn a new measuring syetem....
    Last edited by marksbug; Oct 30, 2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: addtion.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have found this issue with a number of "free" HF tape measures. Of course HF no longer offers any free items - ( I do miss the flashlights and magnetic strips) But unless your project must accurately match or fit into a defined space; just be consistent using ONE rule for all measurements.

Thanks
    Ive probably gotten 50 of the flashlights over the years. they still do have free stuff but with a $25 purchase...or more. and last week was a 30% of coupon for items under $10 witch made what I wanted ever cheeper than any sales they have put on them so I got 4 of them.
    as far as one rule for messurement I have a few rules, mesure 3 times than messure again. then on the peice your cutting mesure it 4 times from both sides.....then remesure the first from both sides ass 6" and .....I will only be a few inches off in my old age I seem to be reading the tape fromn the rong side...like 52&1/4" instead of 51&3/4....or worse the other way around. I blame the tapes on this with all the crap they tend to print on them so they work for everything and nothing at the same time. my old crapsman in my go to.as well as some real nice stainless west marine tapes I got years ago...but...there about dead now.some how if I have a tape layed out the wife knows to step right on it....I cant figure out how she only picks those 3 stainless ones to do it to...but there almost useless now.Ive changed the tape in 2 of them and.,. those are screwed up now too...thus the cheep harbinger of fright tapes I now get. use a week or so and toss it.

Thanks
    speaking of harbinger of fright tools.... thier cheep tq wrenches sofar have tested better than the expensive snappon&mac tool,crapsman units I have.1/4,3/8&1/2" all test better and closer across the entire range usualy withen 2% vs 2~10% for the expensive **** tq wenches) much better than any of the expensive units. reg price $19 usually on sail for $10~$12.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information