Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A Layout Punch Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

A Layout Punch Guide

It is easy to find the intersection of two scribed lines with a layout punch if the lines are deep enough to feel. Here is a solution when you must not cut into the stock.

If you are interested, please, click here.

If you want me to contact you each time I publish an article, email me with "Subscribe" in the subject line. In the body of the email, please tell me if you are interested in metalworking, software plus electronics, kayaking, and/or the Lectric XP eBike so I can put you on the right distribution list.

If you are on a list and have had enough, email me "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. No hard feelings.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 29, 2020), Karl_H (Oct 28, 2020), saguaro (Nov 3, 2020), wolfpaak (Oct 28, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Punch Guide to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    It is easy to find the intersection of two scribed lines with a layout punch if the lines are deep enough to feel. Here is a solution when you must not cut into the stock.

If you are interested, please, click here.

If you want me to contact you each time I publish an article, email me with "Subscribe" in the subject line. In the body of the email, please tell me if you are interested in metalworking, software plus electronics, kayaking, and/or the Lectric XP eBike so I can put you on the right distribution list.

If you are on a list and have had enough, email me "Unsubscribe" in the subject line. No hard feelings.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick
    Just curious about the aluminum coil. Was that supposed to be foil? Aluminum flashing? Interesting idea. I could see expanding it to make a template if I had several holes to lay out on multiple pieces. Thanks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeH For This Useful Post:

volodar (Oct 28, 2020)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Just curious about the aluminum coil. Was that supposed to be foil? Aluminum flashing? Interesting idea. I could see expanding it to make a template if I had several holes to lay out on multiple pieces. Thanks.
    "Coil" is also called flashing. I can see where this is confusing so will correct the article. I also like your idea of making a template. You, Sir, have proved again that "all of us are smarter than any one of us."

Thanks!

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    "Coil" is also called flashing. I can see where this is confusing so will correct the article. I also like your idea of making a template. You, Sir, have proved again that "all of us are smarter than any one of us."

Thanks!

Rick
    Ah well, don't know about smarter. It finally dawned on me later that coil could mean a coil of metal strip. Too many years of electrical engineering makes me think of coils made from wire.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Ah well, don't know about smarter. It finally dawned on me later that coil could mean a coil of metal strip. Too many years of electrical engineering makes me think of coils made from wire.
    JoeH,

My mind works in different ways. It never occurred to me to confuse it with an inductor but it does makes sense now. I've been an EE since 1973. My guess is that you were more analog than digital.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    JoeH,

My mind works in different ways. It never occurred to me to confuse it with an inductor but it does makes sense now. I've been an EE since 1973. My guess is that you were more analog than digital.

Rick
    Worse than that, I did filter design for a lot of years, both passive and active. Not much call for that anymore.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information