Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Holder for sharpening TIG tungsten electrodes

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I had an epiphany over the weekend and I was able to make a number of TIG welds that looked OK and weren't full of bug holes. I held my tip back about twice as far from the puddle as I had been doing and I hit it with a lot more current and my weld cone was much more controllable and I stopped melting tips. Further I traveled a lot faster with my weld metal and all this resulted in acceptable welds.

I also learned why my welds were covered with light rust - I wasn't keeping the hot area flooded with argon after the weld and this allowed the hot metal to oxidize.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 23, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I had an epiphany over the weekend and I was able to make a number of TIG welds that looked OK and weren't full of bug holes. I held my tip back about twice as far from the puddle as I had been doing and I hit it with a lot more current and my weld cone was much more controllable and I stopped melting tips. Further I traveled a lot faster with my weld metal and all this resulted in acceptable welds.

I also learned why my welds were covered with light rust - I wasn't keeping the hot area flooded with argon after the weld and this allowed the hot metal to oxidize.
    I'll give it a shot. I usually get in there too tight so I'm sure that'll solve one of my bad habits. Thanks.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information