Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Twin I beam bushing install tool

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Twin I beam bushing install tool

It has been way past time to replace the pivot bushings in the twin I beam suspension of one of my old Ford trucks
    these have to be pressed in. Removing the whole I beam to carry it to a press is never part of an equation. Thar can take hours to do , require the spring to be compressed support the truck disconnect the I beam along with the spindle brakes shock steering link the trailing arm plus it is about 200 lbs to mass to carry for a 2 minute job in a shop press.
    Also deciding to do them on the vehicle just means only 1 bolt need be removed the beam supported by a hydraulic jack so you ca lower it remove the old bushing use a C type of other suitable press to install the new one raise the beam back in place install the bolt and you are done maybe an hours job to do both of them if everything go according to HOYAL
    Well I didn't have such a press and I sure wasn't going to make 2 150 mile round trips to rent one from an auto parts dealer
    At least not as long as I had a bit of T1 steel A few 1" nuts and a piece of 1" all thread rod I wasn't.
    Twin I beam bushing install tool-20201123_120948sw.jpg
    After making it I tried to press the bushing in using a 1 1/2" combination wrench for the handle
    This wasn't going anywhere fast pulling on the end of a nearly 2 foot long wrench with all my strength was wearing me out faster than the bushing was moving make that not hardly moving at all.
    Twin I beam bushing install tool-20201124_122844sw.jpg
    Enter my 6 to one 3/4by 1" drive torque multiplier and an 20" long ratchet it still required 2 hands much of the time but the bushing went right in.
    Maybe around 100 lbs pull on the ratchet X 6 to1 multiplier on a 1" 8TPI bolt that is one strong clamp
    Twin I beam bushing install tool-20201124_123828sw.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Nov 29, 2020), baja (Nov 26, 2020), Crusty (Nov 25, 2020), EnginePaul (Nov 25, 2020), Jon (Nov 25, 2020), mr mikey (Oct 14, 2023), sak778 (Nov 29, 2020), Scotty1 (Nov 25, 2020), sossol (Nov 26, 2020), thevillageinn (Nov 29, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Torque multiplier, when 4 feet of pipe just isn't enough.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    That's my kind of project - expedient old school.

It filled a need, was made from materials on hand and it didn't involve a glitter covered angle grinder with a laser and microprocessor.

I bet that Ford does better at stayin' between the ditches now.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    As you can see it was way beyond replacement time
    Twin I beam bushing install tool-20201124_160920cf.jpg
    basically I only use the old truck to haul a 300 gal water tank in so it gets about 30 miles a week put on it but true to its nature it drove like the 30 years old farm truck it is with those bad bushings and 4 inches play in the wheel,now after setting the toe in and tightening up the shaft that leads from the steering wheel down to the gear box and taking up a full round in the gear box adjustment there is zero play in the steering wheel and on a good road it will stay in the lane for half a mile no hands on the wheel at 75 MPH I'm satisfied with the outcome.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotty1 (Nov 25, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Bushing Install Tool to our Suspension category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    we made a 300 mile round trip drive today in the old Ford to our Thanksgiving dinner, would have driven the smaller truck nut one of my sisters had somethings she had been wanting to give me for a long time and I couldn't haul 500 lbs of 20 ft long steel on top of the smaller truck.
    I must say the old truck surprised even me with the ease of handling after my work on it

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Nov 29, 2020)

Thread Information