Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe

Nothing new around here - merely my cheapskate take on a Über-purpose lo-rev TP drill/ mill and grinder...
    Just for light duty (<150W in) work as machine rigidity is not one of the many virtues of a 7 x 14" mini lathe.
    There's been a few of these around here and on YT - so I might as well pitch in?

DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1134.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1133.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1138.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1136.jpg

"Design considerations": Cheap-to-the bone with mostly dumpster diving finds such as the sturdy Al extrusion, the 59 mm dia motor from an OKIN Deltadrive linear actuator, the Mean Well (sic!) 30 VDC 5.6 A switched PSU, a few bolts and an actually bought, cheap set of axle, 1/4" chuck, bearing block, belt and 2:1 pulleys + a 50 V 20A PWM controller, giving the following revs (CW or CCW):

DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-diyswedes-tpmdgm.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1117.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1135.jpg

Guess the only original idea of mine was to make it "Flip-Flop": so as to get it in from just about any angle and direction?
    Turned the center portion of the extrusion's top and bottom, for 360 deg rotation and on-center height on both sides...

Axial drilling/ milling, inner or outer cutoff wheel (slooowly!)/ grinding (-Use "bedsheets"!) :

DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1126.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1125.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1127.jpgDIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1128.jpg

4 mm Keyway milling a few minutes at 2 kilo-rpm (and this won't wake my next of kin, as the 400W 20k rpm Screaming Hilda, see:
    Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.

DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1129.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1130.jpg DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe-img_1132.jpg

No big deal, but it'll come in handy - and it only cost me about 10 bucks, all in all and a few hours of winging/ fiddling.

Yeah!- you can hardly hear the thing with the German made OKIN motor!
    "-It werks!"
    Quick, Dirty, Cheap & Operational
    - as always from DIYSwede's "Walk-in Closet Workshop"

Hope someone'll find some useful tips or entertainment from the above.

Cheers
    Johan

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

asterix (Nov 30, 2020), aussie (Nov 30, 2020), baja (Dec 1, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Dec 1, 2020), Carnel (Dec 7, 2020), Home-PC (Dec 1, 2020), Jon (Nov 30, 2020), mr mikey (Jan 25, 2023), Sleykin (Nov 2, 2022), Tonyg (Dec 1, 2020), WmRMeyers (Jul 21, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks DIYSwede! We've added your Tool Post Grinder to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: DIYSwede's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

sacco1 (Nov 30, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    Guess the only original idea of mine was to make it "Flip-Flop": so as to get it in from just about any angle and direction?
    -Well I was mistaken (again!) even in this respect -
    I found Steveohdee's TPG post from mid-2018 the other day: mini lathe tool post grinder,
    and THEN just remembered I've actually seen it before!

So - my bad - I simply forgot that I've actually ripped this excellent idea from Steveohdee...

"Dunning-Kruger is alive and kicking!"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Nov 2, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    many cheap thanks...lol

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    -Well I was mistaken (again!) even in this respect -
    I found Steveohdee's TPG post from mid-2018 the other day: mini lathe tool post grinder,
    and THEN just remembered I've actually seen it before!

So - my bad - I simply forgot that I've actually ripped this excellent idea from Steveohdee...

"Dunning-Kruger is alive and kicking!"
    Not so. You mixed his idea(s) with others, yours as well as probably several others, and produced something new, and more suited to your purposes. Maybe we're not standing on the shoulders of giants, but if you stack enough midgets, you can still gain altitude!

Bill

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information