Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drilling Guide and Tapping Screw Guide 4-40 to 1/2-20

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Drilling Guide and Tapping Screw Guide 4-40 to 1/2-20

The drill guide is developed using 1/32" intervals. The decimal sizes and fractional sizes are listed.
    The Threading guide is for tap drill sizes so the name is a bit misleading. Letter and Number drills have been listed as well as fractional.
    Note that either of these guides may be used to guide any tap as long as it is a nice loose but not too loose fit in the hole. Don't worry about
    the numbers just find a hole that is a close fit. The same goes for drilling so they can work for metric also.

After drilling the correct size tap drill hole in the material you are working on you can then use any of the
    many available tapping guides to guide the tap straight into the straight hole you just drilled.

It is also possible to use either of the guides shown here to find a hole in one of the guides that will be quite close
    to the OD of the tap to use it for the tapping guide. Just use with care so the holes in these guides are not enlarged.

I have made mine from aluminum but any handy metal or even plastic such UHMW should be fine.

A V-groove could be added to the bottom of either guide so it can be used on round stock but I left mine flat.

One other note. These are not a substitute for the tap/drill selection charts that come with your tap and die sets or that nice Starrett pocket card with all the tapping info on it.

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drilling Guide and Tapping Screw Guide    4-40 to 1/2-20-img_2736.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Back to the shop.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

bigjulie (Dec 26, 2022), Canyonman44 (Dec 2, 2020), EnginePaul (Dec 3, 2020), Home-PC (Dec 2, 2020), Jon (Dec 2, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Dec 8, 2020), NortonDommi (Dec 3, 2020), olderdan (Dec 3, 2020), sacco1 (Dec 2, 2020), TheElderBrother (Dec 6, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Drill and Tap Guide to our Tapping and Threading category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information