Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools

Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes

I bought a 100mm diameter Angel Eye led array - essentially a circular LED array that is normally for aftermarket use around car headlights, normally always on as daylight running lights.

Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes-angel-eyes-03.jpg

I then created a simple MDF housing for the light that bolts to the spindle on the same bracket as the magnetic strip for the spindle measurement on a Sieg SX2.7 - more details: Sieg SX2.7 Angel Eyes

Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes-angel-eyes-06.jpg

This housing shields your eyes from the side and bounces the light back onto the spindle.

Small Milling Machine Angel Eyes-angel-eyes-11.jpg

With the 100mm diameter array it creates a uniform light on the end of any milling bit that is just brilliant. There is no flickering that I have observed to date and it is really cheap. I would like to use this MDF holder as a prototype for an aluminium holder and shade as I could make it thin and very light.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 18, 2021), baja (Jan 16, 2021), bruce.desertrat (Jan 15, 2021), Carnel (Jan 16, 2021), cjfearn (Sep 19, 2023), Home-PC (Jan 17, 2021), Jon (Jan 22, 2021), mr mikey (Dec 9, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Jan 16, 2021), Ralphxyz (Jan 17, 2021), rlm98253 (Jan 15, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks editor@glue-it.com! We've added your Milling Machine Light to our Lighting category,
    as well as to your builder page: editor@glue-it.com's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Be nice for a drill press, too. Good for these old eyes to be able to hit that center punch right the first time :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I got a few of these for the mill and drill presses but after a test I have not bothered to fit them. I found the light output to be way to low to be worth the bother.
    Maybe mine are weaker, but whatever, I was very disappointed.

Thanks
    I just got a set, one by mistake. Both came with two light rings (if that is the proper term?) The 100 mm came with a self adhesive strip on the back side and was a perfect fit on the quill of my mill drill. They were very inexpensive (less than $5.00 each for two). They are quite bright, I need to make a power switch to cut power when not in use. I have it hooked up to a 12v wall wart right now that I plug into a power strip. I want to cut power to the wall wart so it in not on all of the time.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    There is no flickering that I have observed to date and it is really cheap.
    I've found quite a few mains-connected cheap LED lights that flicker, which I find annoying (to say the least).
    The built-in LED drivers can have rectifiers/ SMPS's with just about any output frequency,
    so the 12 VDC 4W auto ring light above will be flicker-free IF (and only if) the supply delivers "clean" enough DC.
    A car LED would have a max design voltage of 14.5 VDC,
    and any PWM variable driver would provide a suitable dimmer down to the LED's turn-on voltage.
    Nice bonus feature: LED's color spectrum is unaltered when dimming, in contrast to that of incandescent lights.

1) To check I usually take a short high-speed (@ 240 fps) cellphone video with the lamp in question being the only light on in the room.
    On slo-mo playback any eventual flicker immediately shows.

2) One simple and cheap remedy is to solder an electrolytic capacitor in parallel to the LED source,
    as big as you can fit and with ample voltage headroom, then repeat 1) to check.

Works great if you're annoyed with shop lights that strobe in your videos.
    But I don't recommend "fixing" LED retro-fit ersatz mains fluoro tubes at all...
    Then - the color rendition of run-of-the-mill LEDs are a completely different question as their spectrum varies wildly...

Caveat: The DC current can get quite high, so check for appropriate (short) cable length and area.
    I've found some really flimsy hook-up wires in LED flood lights during my autopsies...
    LEDs don't like over-voltage or high temperatures at all...

2 cents

Johan

PS: I use a discount 20W LED outdoor flood light as an indirect* "shop" ceiling bouncer for general, shadow-free illumination,
    then a few IKEA Jansjö flexible goosenecks and a few LED strips for the shelves.
    * Pointed UPWARDS into the white ceiling for "that soft, low-contrast light quality"
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Jan 16, 2021 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added PS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 17, 2021)

Thanks
    I got a 90mm led lighted magnifier's off ebay for about $12. with ac adaptor.with all the leds' around the lens, it's bright.should do just fine when I get time to take the lens out and mount it to my millquill.

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I got a few of these for the mill and drill presses but after a test I have not bothered to fit them. I found the light output to be way to low to be worth the bother.
    The one I'm using is approximately 4W and this is quite high for LED lights. It's bright enough that you cannot look at it directly. The test is the difference it makes to the ability to align parts on the table and it really is a transformation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    try more voltage!!!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Do you get a black spot when the quill is extended? I did when I tried a ring light. I found that lighting from both sides obviated this.

Thread Information