Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)

Thanks

itzikdiy's Tools

2-in-1 Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)

Hi all,

I made a Cross Dowel Jig (also called Barrel Nut).
    Unlike other Jigs, I made the Jig detacheable into 2 pieces, so it has dual use (2 in 1) for the Cross Dowel & also for additional wooden dowel.

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-fvu3f2wkg54aa5p.jpg

Such drill Jigs requires metal pipes which fits the drill bits well. I made this Jig in the middle of the Coronavirus lockdown and was limited with the materials I have.
    I looked in all of my junk boxes and later in my screws organizers to look for metal pipes.
    Finally, I saw some Jumbo screws / anchors which I had in different sizes, and tried their metal 'pipes', and they made the job well!

This is the video. Some additional explanation, below it.
    What do you think of the result?

There are different kinds detachable joints.
    One popular & strong joint for furniture and specially beds, is a Cross Dowel / Barrel Nut & additional wooden dowel, which makes the connetion better.

Lately I planned to make a bunk bed for my kids. I wanted the option to disassemble the bed in the future, like the detachable beds you buy on the stores.
    The challenge with building a furniture using Cross dowel joints, is making precise drill holes which meets in accurate position.
    It's hard to make such perfect holes at home, and especially when you have many of such joints in a bed, so I decided to make a special Jig for it.
    The video demonstrates this explanation the best.

If you have questions, you're welcome to ask.
    Enjoy!

The Jig - attached state

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-fggck55kg29euk6.jpg

The Jig - detached state

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-f0kht9wkg29euk5.jpg

Barrel Nut

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-fp2vhpbkg29erey.jpg

Cross Dowel - Bolt & Nut

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-fazmosnkg29erex.jpg

Joint Example - with additional wooden dowel

2-in-1 DIY Cross Dowel Jig | Barrel Nut Jig (For Detachable Wooden Furniture Joints)-fcn5o5jkg29euhc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by itzikdiy; Jan 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM.
    XDIY with Itzik - Do It Yourself Projects & Videos

My YouTube Channel - Subscribe

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itzikdiy For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 16, 2021), rlm98253 (Jan 24, 2021), Slim-123 (Jan 18, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jan 18, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks itzikdiy! We've added your Cross Dowel Jig to our Jigs category,
    as well as to your builder page: itzikdiy's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

itzikdiy's Tools
    Thank you!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    XDIY with Itzik - Do It Yourself Projects & Videos