Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space

Thanks

tmate3's Tools

CNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space

Many home or small shop based fabricators would like to have a 4' x 8' or larger CNC plasma table, but lack the space for it. Yet, there is no need to deny ones self this fabulous process just because you don't have an ideal location for it.

I solved this problem for myself years ago by building a 2' x 2' table on casters. I simply rolled it outside my garage to use it, and the plasma dust and smoke issue went away too. More recently I put together a similar sized machine the sits under my deck just outside my basement door. The compressor, plasma cutter, and computer are just inside the door 10 feet away. It takes about 5 minutes to hook up the cables and torch for use.

I have found that there are virtually no shapes I want to cut that don't fit within the travel limits of the two axes. Also, there is no need for a torch height control on a machine of this size. I have one, but use a Bugo rack and pinion machine torch holder instead.

The first photo is of my original, and the second of my current machine. I have also includes photos of a few shapes cut with the latter table.

CNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-2x2-casters.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-2x2-cnc-plasma.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-img_7152.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-img_7144.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-img_7217.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-img_9206.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-xmas-houses.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-img_7132.jpgCNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-scrooge.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tmate3 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 20, 2021), blkadder (Jan 19, 2021), clydeman (Jan 19, 2021), Ed Weldon (Jan 22, 2021), HobieDave (Jul 18, 2021), Jon (Jan 20, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Jan 20, 2021), nova_robotics (Jan 19, 2021), rdarrylb (Jan 19, 2021), Saltfever (Feb 8, 2021), Sleykin (Jan 31, 2021), Thimet (Jan 19, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tmate3! We've added your Compact CNC Plasma Table to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: tmate3's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Neat. I built a 4x8 single arm gantry (supported only from one side) years ago. Does the crud gum up your linear bearings?

Thanks

Thimet's Tools
    Nice job! What are you using for software and hardware to run the g-code? Arduino? GRBL?

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    My first machine build 25 years ago was a single (cantilevered) arm unit. I used the weights out of a grandfather clock to eliminate the backlash (removed for this picture).

On this machine the Origa (Parker) linear cassettes have wipers that keep the rails clean. Never had any problems from dirt or crud. I do wipe down the rails each time I get ready to use the machine.

I am using FlashcutCNC electronics and software to run the machine. I use CorelDraw to create the shapes and save them as DXF files, which the Flashcut software imports and converts to G code. My former company worked with Flashcut for years, so I am quite comfortable with their stuff.

CNC Plasma Cutting in a Small Space-cantilever.jpg
    Last edited by tmate3; Jan 19, 2021 at 07:28 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmate3 For This Useful Post:

brobrn0001 (Jan 27, 2021), Sleykin (Jun 8, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tmate3 View Post
    I am using FlashcutCNC electronics and software to run the machine.
    Have you considered LinuxCNC? It's a freebie and is very powerful.

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    At this point I am retired, and just do the CNC stuff for my own enjoyment. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Thanks
    Thank you tmate3. I need to do the same. Thanks for making the plans available

Thanks
    Might you possibly have plans or at least additional 'build' photos to share? I'd really like to build something similar and would appreciate any additional details to accelerate the possibility. THANKS!

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    I'll see what I can scrounge up in the way of build photos.
    Last edited by tmate3; Jan 20, 2021 at 08:16 PM.

Thread Information