Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Radius grinding machine ideas!

Thanks

Gary Huston's Tools

Radius grinding machine ideas!

Ok, so I need to pick the collective brains of you guys. I make some machine accessories that need to have a radius ground on them. Currently I use a modified cylinder grinder that has the main motor disabled and used as a centre. The radius is roughly 4 inches long but only a partial radius. The part has a base plate welded to it so the part can’t be totally revolved and prohibits anything revolving completely around. I could carry on using the current machine but it’s a two hour round trip for half an hours work. I really want to try and make something so I can do it all in house, preferably desk top sized. I attach some photos which will hopefully make it more obvious. The yellow line is how far the grind needs to go and the yellow hole is the pivot point. The radius needs to be pretty accurate as another plate runs over it making the slot at the top fluid tight. It’s not watertight but needs to keep liquid plastic at 180 degrees in! If anyone can suggest a machine I can build from readily available parts or a machine I can cannibalise I would be grateful. i would prefer something using a grinding wheel rather than a belt as I think a wheel would be more accurate. I only have a hobby mill and lathe but have access to most machines.
    Radius grinding machine ideas!-e7254954-d20d-41d2-8acb-7757690f5cf1.jpgRadius grinding machine ideas!-796d4357-dc67-4d40-bc07-7bd5c2e5eace.jpgRadius grinding machine ideas!-18f63972-fdad-43e1-992e-f52927572784.jpgRadius grinding machine ideas!-d541a404-be84-438c-bbeb-6078fd4f5c54.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Huston For This Useful Post:

sossol (Jan 22, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Carnel's Tools
    Often choosing the right sequence in making the parts of a device simplifies such a problem. Is it possible to first make the cilindrical part with the required specs and afterwards join (weld) the flat parts to it?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Gary Huston's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnel View Post
    Often choosing the right sequence in making the parts of a device simplifies such a problem. Is it possible to first make the cilindrical part with the required specs and afterwards join (weld) the flat parts to it?
    No because welding on the base plate can cause it to warp. Even if i could do it that way round i'm still stuck with the same problem of how to grind the radius.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Huston For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Jan 22, 2021)

Thanks
    Seems like if you could set up something that uses a small diameter wheel it would be easier to build a fixture to rotate your assembly while also enabling you to slide the part along lengthwise.

Thanks

Gary Huston's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    Seems like if you could set up something that uses a small diameter wheel it would be easier to build a fixture to rotate your assembly while also enabling you to slide the part along lengthwise.
    That’s the sort of thing I’m aiming for although the setup I use at present uses 8” discs and it works better when the discs are new than worn smaller. This is it with the discs almost shot..
    Radius grinding machine ideas!-35174cf5-13e0-4a45-8893-7e650ce2cf85.jpeg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information