Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retractable castors

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Reynes1
    Thank you for the idea of fitting the casters on the opposite side I will check this out and see how stable the machine is when moving around. I will post the complete machine once I get a chance which is a kindling cutting machine. But I have a tight time scale on my next project which is to build a Blackgates v-twin oscillating engine by March 26th for my son’s 21st birthday present. I started it with him when he was 11 and he never completed it so have decided to get it done for him.
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Mar 7, 2021)

Thanks
    thehomeengineer,

First post here, long-time lurker. Could you post pics of the lifting lever? It appears to have a curve that is used to rotate the caster downwards. Do these lock into place via friction alone?

A few final questions: 1) What is the mass of the object that you are lifting? 2) How much force is necessary to push the caster into the engaged mode? Need to rock object to lift? 3) Does it take much force to release the lever from the down position (or do you rock the object backwards to release)?

I have a welding table that I would like to be able to move around and these would appear to be a good solution...

Thanks for any response!

Keith

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kcmccready For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Mar 7, 2021)

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    I appreciate seeing the different designs of retractable wheels for moving tables and equipment, as they're not only a convenience modification, but are also safety equipment, in my view. I don't know how anyone could call these ankle knockers without seeing what the top of the table or machine looks like... i.e., if the table top has a decent overhang, one would contact the table top with their body before ever knocking an ankle.

The ball mounts that slip into a receiver hitch, you know... those stout, shin-high, immovable metal appendages that protrude from the backside of so many pickups and SUVs... well, they're wonderful teachers for distracted, inattentive students. It only took one brief lesson in my late teens to make an indelible, lifelong impression on my young mind... I've ever since been very respectful of the back-end of vehicles, as I am of the back-ends of horses.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IAMSatisfied For This Useful Post:

Priemsy (Mar 7, 2021), thehomeengineer (Mar 8, 2021)

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi All
    Been a while since I last posted. Busy on a couple of construction jobs over the year so little workshop time. But at last I have got one project finished and decided to fit some retractable castors. Nothing new I know. I was surprised at the cost to buy so decided to make some from scrap box section. The final result works a treat but buying against making is questionable. There was unite a bit of cutting and machining and the cost in items I bought was £6.50 Wheels E-bay £4.50 and cheap spray paint £2.00 so 10% of cost of buying complete set. The material I used is more substantial than the commercially available. But time to manufacture was longer than anticipated so £68 to buy is probably a cheap price but I guess I still have £61.50 in my pocket I can spend on something else, and I did enjoy making them.
    Below is a few photos of the castors in place.
    Attachment 38704Scrap box cut to very rough shape for foot lever

Attachment 38708Castor in closed mobile position

Attachment 38709Castor in the lifted position.

many thanks for looking
    The Home Engineer
    Are there any plans how to make these?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priemsy For This Useful Post:

kcmccready (Mar 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Maybe we are not all clumsy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by reynas1 View Post
    Actually after looking at it and to appease Rayh__, I would place them on the opposite side of the legs (Inboard) so they'd be flush with the sides.

Just a thought...
    re: thehomeengineer, I like them, you'll recall we've shared details often on good stuff. There are countless items needing casters, but require solid floor contact
    in-between, I find so-called 'locking' casters disappointing.

When it comes to safety, as Mike Rowe says, Safety 3rd.
    I'd guess just two of us have ~80 years experience without serious injury, proving validity of his statement.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...+third+meaning

re: reynas1, inboard is a good idea, except that often raises center of gravity to point of instability.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Mar 8, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    RE: Toolmaker51

CENTER OF GRAVITY? By the pics, I saw a level hard floor and if that would cause instability then it wasn't to stable from the beginning.

Unless you're gonna be running it like an ambulance stretcher.

Just saying and appreciate your concern.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Besides it would only affect it lengthwise because they'd be the same width.

What I meant was do a 180 degree on the back of the legs, not the inside.

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I will draw them up and ask Jon to make them available via HMT

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Keith
    the wheels are rated at 50kg so depending on the load rating of the wheels you purchase will determine what weight can be moved. There is nothing stopping you making the mechanism larger to take a larger wheel and load capacity. The mechanism operates on a cam and once over centre locks in place. Commercially made retractable caster are available which lift 800lbs priced at £68.00. The ones I made lift very well with little effort to lift the kindling chopping machine and to release you simply place your foot under the lifting lever and lift lever to lower. These are made from 50 x 50 x 5mm box and 40 x 40 x 3mm box and the pivot bolts are M8 high tensile bolts with ny-lock nuts. The commercially made ones look like pressed 16 gauge steel. So larger capacity wheels say 125 kg rated and a larger lever you could easily lift 0.5 tonne with foot operation. hope this helps and has answered your questions
    The Home Engineer

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

kcmccready (Mar 8, 2021)

Thread Information