Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How to turn ogives

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

How to turn ogives

An ogive is the shape formed by the pointed Gothic style arches. It is formed by the intersection of two circular arcs such that a sharp point is formed at the point of intersection. Of more application to metalworkers, 'ogive' is also used to describe the three dimensional shape typical of a rocket nose cone. Its cross-section has the same mathematical description as the Gothic arch.

Ogives can be turned incrementally on a lathe by first developing a table of (x,y) values that define the shape, then making a series of plunge cuts based on those values. A final finish is then done with a file and emery paper.

The attached diagram shows the math to develop the (x,y) value pairs as a function of the parameters of the desired ogive. Tedious work at best; that's why I wrote a program (OGIVE.C) to do this. An input data file is used to specify the ogive parameters and the details of the 'x' step size and tool width then, when the program runs it produces a cutting schedule that can be carried to the lathe to guide the turning.

How to turn ogives-ogive.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Bony (Apr 20, 2021), NailByte (Apr 21, 2021), NortonDommi (Apr 12, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Ogive Turning Calculator to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    An ogive is the shape formed by the pointed Gothic style arches. It is formed by the intersection of two circular arcs such that a sharp point is formed at the point of intersection. Of more application to metalworkers, 'ogive' is also used to describe the three dimensional shape typical of a rocket nose cone. Its cross-section has the same mathematical description as the Gothic arch.

Ogives can be turned incrementally on a lathe by first developing a table of (x,y) values that define the shape, then making a series of plunge cuts based on those values. A final finish is then done with a file and emery paper.

The attached diagram shows the math to develop the (x,y) value pairs as a function of the parameters of the desired ogive. Tedious work at best; that's why I wrote a program (OGIVE.C) to do this. An input data file is used to specify the ogive parameters and the details of the 'x' step size and tool width then, when the program runs it produces a cutting schedule that can be carried to the lathe to guide the turning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OGIVE.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	39217
    Ah yes, Manual Numeric Control. As I understand it, the technique was first used to make helicopter blades near the end of WWII. Guy Lautard's Bedside Reader has a great article on this. I translated his approach into a pocket calculator but, for the general case, I think a spreadsheet works better.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Ah yes, Manual Numeric Control. As I understand it, the technique was first used to make helicopter blades near the end of WWII. Guy Lautard's Bedside Reader has a great article on this. I translated his approach into a pocket calculator but, for the general case, I think a spreadsheet works better.

Rick
    I prefer to call it HAM - Human Assisted Machining - the flip side of CAM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I prefer to call it HAM - Human Assisted Machining - the flip side of CAM.
    Doesn't sound too Kosher to me ;-)

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Extracted salient point of Marv's present(tation).
    attached diagram shows the math to develop the (x,y) value pairs as a function of the parameters of the desired ogive. Tedious work at best; that's why I wrote a program (OGIVE.C) to do this.
    So, for the rest of us, adversity factor is...?

Far as acronyms go, Manual Numerical Control is good, Human Assisted Machining is too; how about MCC?
    Manual Coordinate Control?
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 13, 2021 at 06:48 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Does anyone know if the ogive cross section shape has any special characteristics, like a shape for minimal drag.
    I'm helping a mate build an aircraft (full size Mk 1 Spitfire) and it would be useful to know for machining things like pitot tube fairings etc.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Somewhere in the depths one of the books I have on fluid dynamics has 1/2 a chapter on the Ogive shape as it pertains to airships,(blimps with engines). From memory much depends on speed and within certain boundaries the shape has minimal drag. Been a good 10 years since I saw it though otherwise I'd copy the relevant pages for you.
    I am sure someone with more in depth knowledge will have the answer.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Bony View Post
    Does anyone know if the ogive cross section shape has any special characteristics, like a shape for minimal drag.
    I'm helping a mate build an aircraft (full size Mk 1 Spitfire) and it would be useful to know for machining things like pitot tube fairings etc.
    There's an excellent Wikipedia article which discusses the various shapes and their drag characteristics in different speed domains...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_c...haracteristics

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information