Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Scratch-built aluminum model airplanes - photos and video

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 18, 2021), greenie (Apr 15, 2021), mklotz (Apr 15, 2021), myavid76 (Apr 16, 2021), Paul Jones (Apr 21, 2021), piper184 (Apr 16, 2021), will52100 (Apr 18, 2021)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    There are some people on this planet, who are just far above what any normal person could ever do, this person is one of them.

Bloody amazing that what he can make, his models are just incredible --------------------

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It truly looks like it could be loaded up with fuel ammo and miniature persons could take off and fly it straight into combat
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    The detail is amazing, not only the execution of the model making, but the fact that he could find the information to recreate the parts so accurately.
    Seeing how hard it is to restore a full size WW2 airplane, this astounds me.
    So much of the documentation has disappeared in the sands of time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moldyjim View Post
    The detail is amazing, not only the execution of the model making, but the fact that he could find the information to recreate the parts so accurately.
    Seeing how hard it is to restore a full size WW2 airplane, this astounds me.
    So much of the documentation has disappeared in the sands of time.
    There are several B17s still flying and providing expensive flights for folks whose bank accounts exceed their common sense. (In 2019 one crashed at a Connecticut airport and killed five or six "passengers".)

My point is that not only does detailed documentation exist but he could possibly have obtained access to the real thing.

Much as I would love to fly on one, I won't trust a 70 year old airframe that was designed to only last a few missions and is now being serviced by rank amateurs with parts from who knows where and inspected by folks who have never seen one of these before.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

will52100 (Apr 18, 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    There are several B17s still flying and providing expensive flights for folks whose bank accounts exceed their common sense. (In 2019 one crashed at a Connecticut airport and killed five or six "passengers".)

My point is that not only does detailed documentation exist but he could possibly have obtained access to the real thing.

Much as I would love to fly on one, I won't trust a 70 year old airframe that was designed to only last a few missions and is now being serviced by rank amateurs with parts from who knows where and inspected by folks who have never seen one of these before.
    So, if one wanted to build a new B17, and had the resources to do so, enough documentation would exist to completely build a brand new one?
    I was under the impression that restoration was difficult because of the lack of blueprints, templates, sheet metal forms etc. not being available.
    Perhaps what I heard of was rare and with few existing examples.
    If there are more examples that could change things.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I flew (twice) in the B17 that later crashed. I knew it was a risk. It was worth it. I would like to believe they are maintained by more than “rank” amateurs. I also flew in the P51. Thrill of a lifetime. My pilot was only 19. However, he had more hours than any other person in that plane. That was his full time job. Apparently, grew up next to an airport in Iceland. Flying since he was 12. The other pilots for the P51 are older, but part time.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information