Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crankshaft grinding - video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,999 Times in 9,639 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (Apr 16, 2021), marksbug (Apr 18, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 15, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,620 Times in 703 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I could only watch a couple of minutes of it. The camera movements destroyed any chance that I could watch more. Tripods are not expensive but just a steady hand would help a lot.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I remember when the one automotive machine shop in the small town where I grew up got a crankshaft grinder back in the mid ‘70s. I worked at a local garage and had to drop something off at the machine shop one day, since I was friendly with the guys that worked in the shop I had access to the inner sanctum and got to see it in operation. Amazing watching the crankshaft spin off center while grinding the rod journals.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I agree the video is hard to watch, but the real crime happens 10:14 into it. He says says "We're not Rick Hendrick here, this isn't Robert Yates...a thousandth or two is not going to do anything..."

I could put up with the bad camera work, but not that attitude.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 16, 2021), marksbug (Apr 18, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I agree the video is hard to watch, but the real crime happens 10:14 into it. He says says "We're not Rick Hendrick here, this isn't Robert Yates...a thousandth or two is not going to do anything..."

I could put up with the bad camera work, but not that attitude.
    attitudes like that guy had is exactly why they will never get to do the ultra high performance grinding I wouldn't want to see what he does with camshafts.
    While technically he is correct being off a thousandth here or a thousandth there may be acceptable for a regrind everything become accumulative. If the cumulative amount of half a millimeter off in a series of holes in red iron can be enough to cause a beam to be rejected on a super tall building, then blasé' attitude of the total or 8 to 10 thou on a shaft spinning several thousand RPMs is not something I want to hear from the guy grinding my crankshafts even if it will not cause failure
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 16, 2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    There is a point "we're not_______, this isn't ______" is the very edge of OK or not. I've talked to guys just like in the video, declaring themselves 'Machinists'?
    In reality, most are little more than operators. Controlling machines and part results is one thing, if the machine is purpose-built, not so impressive.
    Obviously, I'm not discounting the men like Jenkins, Yunick, Black, Pink, Nicholson, Rollings, the Unsers...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    yup he needs another job.as well as the grinding rock needs segmented so it dont burn the thrust serfaces. there are way to many "good enough" machinist out there.and almost good enough guys too. I made a very good living fixing the **** work they did. as well as machining and building totaly new assemblys. cars,trucks,jet skis,offshore race boats, drag cars, dirt track cars circle jerkers,most everything even some aero plane stuff. good enough isant good enough.
    he finds .008" stroke difference...or did he? is he off that much?or off .004 or .006" square deck the block and you will know for sure just how bad he effed it up.as well as indexing. do it right, do it 1 time and be done, forget about it and have fun.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Apr 18, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Apr 18, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Doing this one right, is the ONLY way to sell the next job.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    no, they do it all day long.and 98% of the people having it done, do not know 1 that it isant right 2, that it matters,3, how to check it.4 that it can be done right...5 dont give a **** how it is done or looks...and more.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 18, 2021)

Thanks
    the sad thing is.... way to many good cranks get ****ed up when they did not need and should not of been turned....just go by a local auto machine shop that does crank grinding and have a look at the stack of good cranks awaiting thier time to get ****ed up....grind it and loose the hardening.along with the precision it was made with. most all bearaing are availble is .001"~.003 if you only look.and yes you can mix and match to get the clearance you want.just dont get the uppers and lowers mixed up...some are specific...some arnt. also many times reconing the rods you can put them on the low side to tighten it up a little.as well as seprate main cap engines can be adjusted too. Im a big fan of thin synthetic oils I like tight clearance.as well as all my bearings and most other engine componets get either ceramic coated or DFL coatings. they work oh so awesome!!!
    most cranks need a light fine/mirrior polish, deburing, balancing,chamfering oil gally holes.and cleaning good proper cleaning.and of coarse lightening before balancing.....for performance stuff.
    Last edited by marksbug; Apr 19, 2021 at 09:36 AM.

Thread Information