Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A tool for all. A magnet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

A tool for all. A magnet.

Here's a tip which might come in handy one day. I hope none of us need it but stuff happens, especially to those who have a workshop.
    This morning a bit of grinding debris got passed my glasses and into my eye, causing considerable pain which got worse during the day. Numerous washes did nothing except for a bit of short term relief. About 40 years ago I had a similar problem and the eye doc used a schapel to literally scrape off a burnt on bit of steel. I was not looking forward to a repeat of that.

Then I had an idea, I was grinding steel, steel is magnetic. What would happen if I put a rare earth magnet very close to my eye and followed the edge around. I was hoping that when I was done there would be a fine steel particle on the magnet, what I got was a surprise. Not one fine particle but numerous bits of super fine stuff, obviously an accumulation of airbourne steel dust, it would have been enough to cover a small pin head. I did not see it but the larger lump that caused the pain must have been in there. Anyway, it was almost instant relief, I washed it again and repeated the magnet trick and got a little bit more out. I guess in the morning I'll know for sure if the problem has gone completely. I have some mild discomfort still but you always get that for a while after an eye irritation.

Footnote: Complete cure, eye feels great.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 12, 2021), baja (May 12, 2021), DIYer (May 13, 2021), DIYSwede (May 11, 2021), Jon (May 11, 2021), lassab999 (May 11, 2021), nova_robotics (May 11, 2021), Sleykin (May 11, 2021)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Thanks for the tip, Tony - and best wishes for your speedy recovery!
    (AFAIK: If I remember correctly, the cornea has the fastest recuperative capacity of all our organs)

I acquired an "empirically well-grounded phobia" against foreign objects in the eye over 40 years ago,
    when fixing up aŽ73 Vauxhall Viva I visited the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks for the very same reason.
    Got my skull belted to a lathe-like contraption with a magnetic drill and a fierce light. Not my idea of fun.

The Doc politely told me the last time: "Don't you think you've had enough of this now, lad?"
    Improved the fit of the glasses each time. Meticulous with those ever since.
    I haven't hitherto gone back there, but your clever tip is welcome for some time when I might run out of luck.

Near-OT: Some of us can't even get an MRI scan of our heads if we should need one,
    due to those small metal fragments who've worked themselves to the back of the eyes thru the years.
    An ordinary x-ray to determine that is used over here to avoid those
    (thru the alternating & strong MRI field) resonating magnetic particles damaging the 2nd Cranial nerve.
    Pretty considerate, if you think about it. Bummer about the canceled MRI, though.

ATB!
    Johan

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Johan,

Yes, I know about the MRI problem and I believe that a CT scan is the alternative but that is not so good at detecting cancers and tumors.

Of course over the course of a long life I have had many occasions with something in the eye, not all from the workshop. As I said there was only one occasion when I needed medical attention which was 40 years ago. Back then I was slack with wearing protective glasses, since then I have got more careful but on this last occasion a rogue piece got passed. It was the accumulated fine dust that the magnet attracted which was a surprise to me. You would need glasses sealed to your face to prevent that. Some days previously I had been milling and turning cast iron which creates fine dust in the air. I suspect that was responsible for the fine junk. I might do the magnet trick next time that I machine cast iron.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Here's a tip which might come in handy one day. I hope none of us need it but stuff happens, especially to those who have a workshop.
    This morning a bit of grinding debris got passed my glasses and into my eye, causing considerable pain which got worse during the day. Numerous washes did nothing except for a bit of short term relief. About 40 years ago I had a similar problem and the eye doc used a schapel to literally scrape off a burnt on bit of steel. I was not looking forward to a repeat of that.

Then I had an idea, I was grinding steel, steel is magnetic. What would happen if I put a rare earth magnet very close to my eye and followed the edge around. I was hoping that when I was done there would be a fine steel particle on the magnet, what I got was a surprise. Not one fine particle but numerous bits of super fine stuff, obviously an accumulation of airbourne steel dust, it would have been enough to cover a small pin head. I did not see it but the larger lump that caused the pain must have been in there. Anyway, it was almost instant relief, I washed it again and repeated the magnet trick and got a little bit more out. I guess in the morning I'll know for sure if the problem has gone completely. I have some mild discomfort still but you always get that for a while after an eye irritation.

Footnote: Complete cure, eye feels great.
    I suggest you check with your eye doctor before trying this. My doctor said to never use a magnet.

Rick
    Rick

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Andyt (May 12, 2021), Jon (May 11, 2021)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I suggest you check with your eye doctor before trying this. My doctor said to never use a magnet.

Rick
    Too late Rick. I've done it. It worked.
    I posted that tip on Facebook as well and several people pointed out that their doctors had used essentially the same method.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts

Rick
    Interesting, your post inspired me to search for ophthalmologist eye magnet, which led to intraocular magnet. You can see some studies and up-close surgical photos with the query intraocular magnetic foreign body removal. There are home use "eye magnet" tools on Amazon, but maybe if the metal is embedded in a certain position or area of the eye then it has to be removed carefully by a surgeon.

Amazon version:

Surgical version with different tips. More: https://amblersurgical.com/browse-by...ocular-magnets

Also available as an electromagnet:

Finally, not necessarily recommending this, but I found this "Dude mah eyeball already feels better" vid:

edit: A magnet may be dangerous if you're trying to remove more than a speck, because the magnet could yank a fragment through the surface of the eyeball, rather than extracting it out through its entry hole, like a splinter.
    Last edited by Jon; May 11, 2021 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Adding warning at end

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DIYer (May 13, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Too late Rick. I've done it. It worked.
    I posted that tip on Facebook as well and several people pointed out that their doctors had used essentially the same method.
    Tony, It worked this time. It the sliver was at a bad angle, the magnet could drag it through your eye and do a lot of damage.

My surgeon used a knife so I guess I could buy the same knife and work on my friend ;-)

Rick
    Rick

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (May 11, 2021)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Long ago I purchased a concave mirror from Edmund Scientific for looking into your eye. I have used it a couple of times and found the object in my eye and was able to remove the object...
    A tool for all.  A magnet.-img_2009.jpg
    Last edited by IntheGroove; May 11, 2021 at 06:32 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    A good buddy of mine had a splinter of metal in his eye. The doctor drilled in around it with this little spring-like thing, and plucked the whole affected region out. The splinter went, but some eye meat went with it. It worked. He's fine now. But that story gave me nightmares.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Tony, It worked this time. It the sliver was at a bad angle, the magnet could drag it through your eye and do a lot of damage.

Rick
    Rick,

Yes I understand that and I would not use the technique on anything other than what I thought was just on the surface.
    It has been a surprise to me to find out that magnets are widely used for this. i had not heard of it previously.

Thread Information