Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Simple welding cart

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Simple welding cart

I recently got a new welding machine and it just begged for some kind of a quick cart.
    Being the up cycler that I am and I am finding that my business partner is becoming as well.
    he went out to my stock pile of probable eventually useful things and spied an old pressure washer
    Is this any good he asked?
    Well the Engine runs but the pump is toast and long gone
    So he stripped the engine off of it while I located an old truck battery box tray we bolted and tack welded the tray to the cart with a couple of braces and the welding cart was borne. It even has ready made places to hang the leads and a place to hold the foot peddle
    the Welding machine is a little Lincoln Square wave AC/DC tig/ stick machine $1850.00+ shipping direct from Lincoln. Absolutely the smoothest welding little stick machine I have ever used. Its been 30 years since I have done any tig welding and have never used one that the foot peddle only excites the contactor, you have to preset the heat All my tig welding has been with a peddle that controlled the amperage as well as the contactor so I am in a real learning curve here
    Simple welding cart-20210516_150803ee.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (May 18, 2021), rgsparber (May 17, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (May 18, 2021), Scotty1 (May 18, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Welding Cart to our Welding Carts category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    <stuff snipped>....and have never used one that the foot peddle only excites the contactor, you have to preset the heat All my tig welding has been with a peddle that controlled the amperage as well as the contactor so I am in a real learning curve here...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210516_150803ee.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	39566
    Hi Frank,
    I may be misunderstanding you, but the Lincoln Squarewave TIG200 pedal SHOULD be controlling the amperage, not just closing the contactor. The knob on the machine is used to set the maximum current, and the pedal should close the contactor, start at 0 Amps, and smoothly ramp the amperage up to whatever the max setting is and anything in between. The harder you press down, the higher the amperage. Press it half way down and you get half you max amperage, etc.

If it is not behaving that way, you may have a defective pedal or a problem with the machine.

I have the same welder. I'm very far from a pro but it is a really great little machine.

Nice little cart build, by the way!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 17, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (May 18, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    Hi Frank,
    I may be misunderstanding you, but the Lincoln Squarewave TIG200 pedal SHOULD be controlling the amperage, not just closing the contactor. The knob on the machine is used to set the maximum current, and the pedal should close the contactor, start at 0 Amps, and smoothly ramp the amperage up to whatever the max setting is and anything in between. The harder you press down, the higher the amperage. Press it half way down and you get half you max amperage, etc.

If it is not behaving that way, you may have a defective pedal or a problem with the machine.

I have the same welder. I'm very far from a pro but it is a really great little machine.

Nice little cart build, by the way!
    Thanks I'll have to give it a try again Probably will disconnect it and use a v/ohm meter to check it out. for me a tig needs the finite control of a peddle otherwise it may as well be a push button wand or a scratch start like few guys use on their gas drive machines.

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Beautifully functional, repurposed cart there, Frank S. (And I applaud your going with the Lo-center-of-gravity.)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Here is a slightly better view of the cart
    Simple welding cart-20210518_185514ede.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information