Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Medium duty Jib crane

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I learn a little every time you post Frank. Thanks for sharing. Might have to make something similar in my machine shop.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Frank, you have built yourself a very nice shop and I would imagine being out of the sun and rain when you get it is a big relief. I moved 600 miles from 10 acres and have really missed my “junk pile”. All my life I have always been able to fabricate what I needed in order to get the job at hand done. 3 years into the move, I am starting to be able to collect and add to a” junk pile “ near Buffalo N.Y. Your posts are a big inspiration. Leaving 10 acres in the country to 1 acre in a small town is different.
    Take the Redneck out of the country, but can’t get the country out of the Redneck.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    the crane in use
    having this sure makes for a much easier and safer way to do things
    I could do with extending the boom another 19 feet for more reach and larger coverage area, which could happen in the future as when I designed the hero column I mounted it on I made it strong enough for a 5 ton crane 12 ft from center line on the inside and the outside of the shop with 3 ton capacity at 25 feet from center line as long as the opposing crane was used in conjunction with a counter weight of at least half the load weight when at full length of the beam since I only plan on ever having larger than the 1 1/2 ton hoist I can extend the beam without worries the experience of having built dozens of these in the past even much heavier duty free standing ones installed on US Military bases over seas plus designing and building the bridges for bridge cranes up to 60 ft long and 20 ton cap lets me feel more than qualified to build my own baby jib cranes by comparison
    Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210610_144458cr.jpg Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210609_115639cr.jpg
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 10, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    it just is high enough
    I am constructing a tower to place my 3000 gallon water tank on which was a huge part of the timing of installing the jib crane
    More about the stand and the water tank at a latter date
    Medium duty Jib crane-img_20210610_174655cr.jpg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    The base for a Jib Crane can be non trivial. Gorbel (www.gorbel.com) for example has suggestions for concrete bases for jib cranes in their manuals and you are talking about pads that can be 4 to 5 feet thick and as much as 10feet wide for a large crane. Needless to say that is a big concrete pour projects.

Given that you may want to consider alternative crane systems for a boat rebuild project. One approach that can sometimes be more economical is a bridge crane. The nice thing with these sorts of cranes is that they often can be installed with little additional foundational work. Also you can be assured full coverage of whatever you are working on. A jib crane almost never covers all of a vehicle such as a boat.

I only mention bridge cranes due to the adoption of them at work over alternatives. They can be fairly cheap to install and operate compared to the need to cut a big hole in your concrete floor for a massive foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuomas View Post
    I have been planning to build small crane to our yard.
    Its just that it needs heavy base or counter weight...

I bought a steel boat to be restored.
    Crane would be handy when lifting steel plates.

Your post made me think.

Could it be useful feature if you could adjust the height of the cross beam?

If you don't need to lift high, then beam could be lowered.
    Then it doesn't need so heavy base. When cross beam is lifted up, you could lift higher, but only lighter objects.

And...
    I just don't find right words in english.
    I think you did fine.
    Maybe i need to draw a picture...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jun 13, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    What Wizard69 says is correct. In planning for construction or mounting a JIb crane be it a freestanding or mounted to an existing structure the forces acting on the type of mounting increase exponentially with each foot out from the center of the pivot
    here is a link to a 3 ton free standing crane I built many years ago to meet the MIL spec requirements everything associated with the crane itself excepting for the actual hoist was required to be tested to a load of double the rated capacity take special note of the excavation for the base mount
    3 ton free standing jib crane

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I have erected a structure made from scaffolding for various jobs. Just wasted 1/2 hour trying to upload a couple of pictures taking the swing bracket off a friends digger to replace the bushings doing this. Wouldn't take.
    Recently I have been eyeing up secondhand pallet racking. The frames come in different flavours, have a good load rating and everything is pre-made and made to clip/bolt together easily. i can't see any reason that ,(depending on height), something couldn't be erected next to/over a boat with a rail on top for a trolley.

Something along these line would be nice: https://www.shuttlelift.com/

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Jun 13, 2021 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Add a link.

Thread Information