Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mod to cheap 4"x36" belt sander

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLins View Post
    Also, it doesn't try to wander around on the bench since I added that 1/2" thick steel plate under it.

Dan L
    I am surprised that you needed that. I have no problems with mine wandering.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

TomBuildsStuff's Tools
    I have the same sander with the same shortcomings. I also found that when trying to plumb my shop vac into the dust collection port on the back, that when the vac was turned on, the belt would not turn... there was not enough clearance between the belt and the port to get adequate airflow, and not enough torque in the stock motor to overcome the suction. Ultimately, I just wound up scrapping the back of the unit and the flimsy plastic disc sander portion, swapped out the motor with an old craftsman, and bent up a slightly better 'table' that will ultimately have to be replaced with something like the one you built here.

Nice build ��

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks, I may have to buy one now, just to do your up grade

Thanks
    Thanks for the tips!
    Woodworking (and plain old tinkering is just a hobby for me so I can seldom justify the purchase of "top shelf" equipment.
    HF stuff fits my budget and my learning curve. I have no family to pass on any "heirloom tools" (But I do own two
    Kirby Vacuums...one is used for the "front end" of my dust collection system) so I buy HF and look for mods like these.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLins View Post
    I've owned this cheap Harbor Freight belt sander for 10 years, and it has always been under powered and slow. So, I replaced the 1/2 h.p. 1725 rpm motor with a 3/4 h.p. Craftsman 3450 rpm unit, and while I was working on it, decided to make a better fence (or table?)

Simple, adjustable and easy to make from stock laying around my shop. Attachment 15206Attachment 15207Attachment 15208 This thing now has plenty of power and is quick to remove material.

Dan Linscheid
    I have one like this i need to rebuild to use 4 x 72 belts.I can get all the used belts i could ever want.My ex boss would give them to me for the asking.They would take longer to use but cant beat the price.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I am surprised that you needed that. I have no problems with mine wandering.
    A distinct, unadvertised option of these; actual balancing or impressions of same. Sometimes the molded resin wheels aren't consistently dense, or spring post not proper tight sliding fit.
    Mine is a Craftsman branded import, plank mounted with soft rubber feet. Iffy at first, using good 2x42 belts biggest improvement. I don't care for the disk, available grits at 6" diameter are unsatisfactory. I'm no Tuomas, but right angle grinder works fine.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBuildsStuff View Post
    .... I also found that when trying to plumb my shop vac into the dust collection port on the back, that when the vac was turned on, the belt would not turn... there was not enough clearance between the belt and the port to get adequate airflow, and not enough torque in the stock motor to overcome the suction. .....��
    i added a dust collector as shown in these pix. As the dust is carried downward by the belt it just falls captive to the air being sucked in. There is no tendency to suck the belt onto the platten. It is made from some scrap plastic drain pipe, the lid off a coffee jar and some scraps of wood. It works really well. The black knob on the front is the only bolt holding it on, elsewhere it just rests on a shaped support.

Mod to cheap 4"x36" belt sander-dsc_3679.jpg Mod to cheap 4"x36" belt sander-dsc_3678.jpg Mod to cheap 4"x36" belt sander-dsc_3677.jpg

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Jun 9, 2021), johncg (Jun 12, 2021), Jon (Jun 10, 2021), NortonDommi (Jun 12, 2021), rlm98253 (Jun 11, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jun 9, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Belt Sander Dust Collector to our Dust Collectors category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information