Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Tailstock power feed - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Jun 10, 2021), Jeffie (Jun 16, 2021), johncg (Jun 10, 2021), Skun Knuckles (Jun 13, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Sensational!
    Built-in feature of many larger turret lathes, non-existent [FAIK] on engine and toolroom lathes.
    Yet certain types of work, it'd be a welcome addition.
    So we did.
    Drilled/ tapped edge of carriage and tailstock, threaded in screw hooks, stretched length of chain to hooks, engage carriage feed. Included big lathes, so big a crank moves tailstock.
    There, saved folks 27 minutes. And a few bucks in material.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 13, 2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    I can see this being a very advantageous modification, my only concern is the tailstock being lifted off the bed on one side due to torque twist under operational loading.The tailstock on my lathe, which was built in the Far East, will lift of the bed if not locked down whilst undoing the drill chuck if I give the key a hefty twist.
    On the other hand I have had a problem with the tailstock slipping backwards under load when using large drills, I fabricated a larger clamping block but the problem is not totally gone, but I can see this modification would definitely improve things if it can be used in conjunction with the tailstock clamp and the saddle lock.

Thanks

tmate3's Tools
    I posted this in another thread some time ago, but this was a somewhat simpler approach I took.

I got a two piece clamping shaft collar with an ID the same size as my tailstock spindle. Then I made a forked bracket that engaged the shaft collar as shown in the photo. Just slightly loosen the tailstock clamp and let the carriage pull it along at the desired feed rate.

Tailstock power feed - video-power-tailstock-308102020_00001.jpg Tailstock power feed - video-power-tailstock-308102020_00000.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tmate3 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 14, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The clamp on quill [tmate3, post 4] is nice because quick arrangement from start to usable.

All of a sudden I'm picturing a twist for these. Carriage still tows the tailstock, but also compresses a coil spring.....retracting a short distance at feed disengagement for peck drilling, the real technique for deep drilling.
    Normally, I use the quill handwheel while disengaging to break chips. Not a difficult coordination, but involves both hands.
    Far as concerns about tipping tailstock; part is where the towing gear attaches, very slight clamping also helps. Lathes referred to not so much an issue, and no one expects to proceed without a pilot hole. A properly sharp drill at correct feed rate with chip removal produces a clean dang hole.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information