Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: TipLap style tool sharpener

Supporting Member old_toolmaker's Avatar
    Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    For my cutter grinder I have a preference for draw in collets. It allows me to snug them up from the back end with a knurled closer. I consider wrenches a nuisance such as for ER collets.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Agreeing with old_toolmaker, but different objection. Draw in collets have a distinct advantage over those closed at the front. The nut required by the latter eats up tool length to grip [adding run out], and interference within grinding/ cutting area. 1/2"+ diameters maybe not so bad, adverse in the smaller sizes, being proportionally shorter.

PS. There are toolholdering and workholding collets; for example 5C is good at both but they are workholders first.
    R8, on the other hand not a good workholder because they are blind, restricting part length.
    ER and similar are terrific for tooling and work. The reason outside others mentioned, is they collapse to grip; full contact and concentricity.
    Many collets only pinch, good for a specific diameter +/- a thou or 2 max.
    5C and such [215, 2J, and others get a bit of range because their overall length.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jun 2, 2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: narrowing applications and selections
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

old_toolmaker (Jun 2, 2021)

Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools
    I definitely agree with that.
    I am currently using ER-32 collets. I plan to make or purchase a suitable set of draw in collets to fit within a 1” diameter bar.

Thanks

H0$$'s Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    After using a Tiplap tool sharpener for many years I really missed this excellent machine when I retired, particularly when an accurate screw cutting or acme tool bit was needed.
    Buying one was to expensive for my now occasional use but making something similar out of the scrap box seemed feasible.

I already had a spare six inch bench grinder and a steel baseplate to mount it all on (I am sure a decent wood base would be ok).
    A cupped diamond wheel is used and I was fortunate in finding a damaged on for a song, a one inch chunk had been knocked of the rim and this was repaired with plastic metal and has been used for many years now.

The only accuracy needed is the squareness of the bar in relation to the wheel, this is easily achieved by placing a flat bar or disc on the wheel and using a DTI in the tool holder until squareness is obtained at which point the end blocks are bolted down.

Sizes are flexible to suit your needs , mine uses a 1 inch bar an easy fit in the alloy blocks.
    In use I rarely clamp the tool being ground as thumb pressure alone seems to work combined with the end stop, It also makes it easy to remove the tool for inspection and replace it exactly where it was for further grinding. It works very well in sharpening carbide tools and tips.

This is of course a finishing process keeping the land to about .050 max after the blank is roughed out using a grit wheel.

I have also sharpened end mills and twist drills (4 facet method) with a few simple fixtures.
    Attachment 12734Attachment 12735Attachment 12736Attachment 12733Attachment 12737Attachment 12732Attachment 12730Attachment 12731
    I just found this post and many thanks for making it. Is there any way of obtaining prints of some type for this? I would really appreciate any help you might have. Thanks Hoss

Thanks

old_toolmaker's Tools

Cutter Grinder

I don’t know where to get drawings for this cutter grinder attachment, but there are numerous similar bench grinder attachment plans available. Maybe Google “Tinker Tool and Cutter Grinder”
    Dick

Links to some of my plans:

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...965#post105972 OFF-SET TAILSTOCK CENTER PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...995#post112113 SMALL TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...994#post112111 LARGE TURRET TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...383#post110340 MINI-LATHE CARRIAGE LOCK PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...191#post106483 SMALL QC TOOL POST PLANS
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/q...849#post119345 QUICK CHANGE LATHE TURRET
    http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...949#post119893 MINI LATHE COMPOUND PIVOT MODIFICATION

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    The only working drawings I have for this are in Sketchup format, they are to scale and can be dimensioned from within if you are a user of Sketchup. These were drawn retrospectively for the post as I do not generally make drawings and work on the fly with what I can find and good old pencil and paper. I could send a zip file if it would be of use to you (too large to post here). I have since made a new top block incorporating an ER20 mounting with a click indexer for end mill and drill sharpening.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Seems the Tinker T&C grinder was a popular feature in the "Home Shop Machinist" publication; so much that castings were available by order.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    I would greatly appreciate the zip files that you have offered , heck even sketchups will help. If you can just email them to me. Thanks

Thanks
    I would appreciate the zip files if you have the time. Please email them it is greatly appreciated

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    I was particularly interested to read about salvaging a cupped grinding wheel using plastic metal. What limits would be placed on a repair like this? I note that it was a diamond lapping plate, not an ordinary grit wheel.
    Last edited by Philip Davies; May 8, 2023 at 04:16 AM.

Thread Information