Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Perfect screw extraction - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

Perfect screw extraction - GIF

A rare perfect screw extraction, on a conveniently large lag screw, that was soft and easy to drill, and that also looks like it could've been done with vise-grips anyway, if this were an ad for vise-grips, and not for a screw extractor.

Previously:

Bone screw with opposing threads - photo
    Correct way to drive a screw - GIF
    Giant ground screw - photo and video
    Deck screw box with built-in deck board drilling template - photo
    1871 automatic screw-making machine - video and photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Rare indeed Mechanics welders and a couple of machinist average once or twice a month bringing me something with a broken bolt or fitting in something they had attempted to extract and exhausted every means available to them.
    There are possibly 100s of different screw extractor designs through out the world but I find that unless the person knows what they are doing before attempting the task they are better off leaving it alone.
    Even in this video ad for the extractor it is clear the guy was not a professional at removing broken bolts or he would have ground or filed the bolt to have a flat surface enabling him to locate the exact center he very nearly drilled far enough off center to the point that had this been a broken bolt in hard material the swelling would have prevented its removal

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

trevor_60_r (Jun 18, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    The only time I've been successful in using an "easy-out" was on a drywall fixing that had it's screwdriver lugs turned off. But hey, if push came to shove I could have cut out the whole damned thing and patched the hole.
    My absolute terror is breaking an extractor bit in the hole, .......what then?

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    My absolute terror is breaking an extractor bit in the hole, .......what then?
    If the screw is small enough, and the broken screw is in wood, then you try one of these and break it too.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    "" My absolute terror is breaking an extractor bit in the hole, .......what then?""
    Then you make a trip to a really well stocked welding supply , ask for a few stud removal rods one great brand is AMTEC 264 thye are blue in color and have a tensil of up to 250,000 PSI . They have a heavy flux and are a straight arc type rod meaning the arc does not splay off to the sides at all and can with practice be used to weld out a broken stud a few inches below the surface . it works best if you can take a torch and burn off any oil and heat before welding if the stud is flush with the surface just get a washer with the same size ID as the OD of the stud weld it to the stud then Peen and peen until flat then weld a nut to the washer. while the stud and weld is hot from welding but not red spray your favorite penetrating oil around the hole until nearly cool then try to gently work the nut back and forth until loose and it come out sometimes this procedure may have to be repeated as few times before the stud is fully extracted as it sometimes will break off one thread at a time
    If welding is not an option and you have already broken an extractor then a sacrificial end mill ran at very high RPMs using a pecking procedure may be your only option left to you
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

trevor_60_r (Jun 18, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Hi Frank,
    What I actually do is not use an easy-out type thing at all. I meticulously find the center of the offending "bolt" and carefully drill down to the bottom with a drill marginally smaller than the tapping drill, take out the body of the bolt then run a tap back down to remove the threads.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information