Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3000 gallon water tank and stand

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by road-warrior View Post
    I admire ingenuity and the willingness to be creative on projects. However, I suspect that you are not trained in structural engineering, given what is described in written text and what is shown in your photographs. While this project may be for personal use on private property, I wonder if your local building codes department still has jurisdiction. Such a system to support nearly 25,000 pounds of water, the tank, structure, platform live load, and to withstand wind or seismic loads, appears lacking in many regards. The support of the tank through the saddles may create point loads the tank designer did not envision, as well. In addition, no description could be seen as to how the platform legs transmit vertical and lateral loads to the ground, and lateral bracing of the system was not evident. I offer this information to you in order that you can be aware of the many items that must be considered such that a safe and code-compliant system in provided. Life safety for any who will be on or around your assembly is paramount. If the item should collapse and someone is injured or worse, you as the property owner will be held responsible, and your property insurer will hire an engineering consulting firm to determine the cause of failure - I know this to be accurate, because I conducted many forensic evaluations when actively practicing engineering over my long career. In your best interest, I recommend you engage a qualified engineer to review and evaluate your project; the small expense now could far offset future costs should something untoward happen.
    I appreciate your comment and concern . A lot of times pictures do not full show every detail nor do text explanations. A very brief history of my expertise can be found in my bio. in my 55 years of work experience I have designed and built such things as complete oilfield drill rigs. overhead bridge cranes freight elevators towers for billboards beams for modular trailers to haul up to 300,000 lbs and pre-engineered buildings.
    My one concern about this water tank stand would be a tornado but should that happen about all it could do would be to blow it off its footing into the open field to prevent that I could lift the whole thing even half full of water with my big forklift after it gets returned to me then pour a 30 cubic yard anchorage footing and anchor it down to the footing

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    On the top of my storage tank there were 2 2" pipe connection points for either vents or pressure relief valves
    For my set up I required vents since I may want to dump from a 3" line.
    Air will flow several times more freely than water and 2 2inch ports are equal to 1 3" port by area
    I didn't want them to be wide open either allowing insects or small birds to fly in so I ordered a pair of 60mm Motorcycle air velocity filters
    these will allow free enough air flow while preventing even the smallest of flying critters from entering
    3000 gallon water tank and stand-img_20210623_171833vt.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 23, 2021)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    This is the main connection point for pumping water into the tank drawing water out of the tank and circulating the water from this end to the other end through the filtration system yet to be installed
    3000 gallon water tank and stand-img_20210623_171649vt.jpg
    There is a 1 1/2" pipe connected to the gate valve that is sticking straight out which reaches the opposite end on the inside of the tank

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 23, 2021 at 06:55 PM.

Thread Information