Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: water tower for chicken house

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools

water tower for chicken house

The watering system for my chicken house had served its duty and was time to be upgraded. Because where i had both drums they were right in the way of where the nest boxes were to be mounted
    So I notched up 4 3x6 timbers to become the legs for the new water tower
    water tower for chicken house-img_20210913_185756wt.jpg.
    Then added the 2x4 cross and end pieces
    water tower for chicken house-img_20210914_105303wt.jpg
    Erected in place some odd colored paint slathered on it to slow the aging process
    and dropped in the 55 gallon drums and connected them with threaded sch 80 gray PVC pipe& fittings
    water tower for chicken house-img_20210914_151757wt.jpg
    Added a sight gage made out of clear tigon tubing.
    One additional thing is I used a washing machine hose on the bib, this way I can fill the storage drums or dispense the water from the same hose.
    This also gives me access to up to 100 gallons of gravity discharge water should the need arise
    water tower for chicken house-img_20210914_152124wt.jpg.
    Tower and next box in place
    water tower for chicken house-img_20210914_163016wt.jpg
    A lot of things I do wind up having a multi use purpose .
    But now I am thinking about constructing a 300 to 600 gallon water storage in my green house. If I do it will be for thermal mass as well as automatic watering plus will add to my on location gravity discharge water supply

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 14, 2021 at 08:54 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 16, 2021), drivermark (Sep 20, 2021), Scotty1 (Sep 15, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2021)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Seeing where your nest box is and all the chicken wire, you must have to protect your chickens from some bad critters.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,760 Times in 4,192 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Seeing where your nest box is and all the chicken wire, you must have to protect your chickens from some bad critters.
    I have several acres of pretty dense wooded area behind the chicken coop with just a cleared and mowed area of about 50 feet wide separating the two. When we first built the pen a few years ago we had numerous critters not favorable to the continued existence of young chickens, not so much now since I have thinned their numbers considerably through the years Maybe the Fox weasels skunks bob cats and coyotes have all figured out there is a crazy bugger who takes pleasure in using them for target practice keeping my skill set honed for the eventual invasion of the starving city dwellers when they figure out their life in the concrete jungles is no longer sustainable. Our county sheriff has said numerous times just don't tell him where the bodies get buried and if my backhoe won't start I can always borrow his.
    so to protect the chickens the sheet metal that makes up the lower portion of the pen area is buried 18" into the ground with 5 strands of barbed wire buried in the trench the walls were built in. This discourages digging or burrowing critters the entire North wall extends to the full height or the run are for a couple of reasons is protection from any critter trying to sneak up from the woods and it blocks the North wind the coop itself is sandwiched between a small utility shed and the run area the poultry wire also covers the run area this prevents the dive bombing hawks from being able to get in as well. We let the chickens and Guinea foul out during the day to free range where ever they want. Not many day time predator's to worry about especially with our 4 dogs around. hawks don't seem to be interested in full grown chickens and I have a small fully enclosed cage in the pen area for hatchlings where they remain until they are a couple months old

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 15, 2021 at 11:19 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Fluffle-Valve (Sep 16, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 20, 2021)

Thread Information