Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flywheel Fly Cutter for a Mini Mill Concept

Thanks
    OK I looked at your tool again. The clamp as designed by Des Burke the originator of the Diamond Tool Holder, has a very interesting clamp.
    The Clamp is designed to clamp either round or square stock. The clamp is not quite square and uses Vee style stamps on three sides. I have yet to ever have a tool bit slip. even on the hardest of materials. I have never pushed it to make extreme DOC just to remove metal fast. I have attempt to copy some of the other designs and found that by making short cuts on the design, I have found in every case the bit did have a tendency to slip. This is a subject of much debate on some forums where some would rather build their tools rather than buy the actual DTH. In my case I found the cost of the tool saved me a lot of frustration, In actual use and the sharpening and maintaining the tool bits. I have two sets of both the Left and Right tool holders.
    I am convinced, at least in my head, that a split clamp using one or more screws to provide the clamping force to retain the tool bit in place.
    If the tool is aligned to cut a stationary Work Piece in the same manner as the DTH does on the lathe.
    A person has to view the cutting process from a static aspect. In my opinion.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by courierdog View Post
    Attachment 40495 I copied the screen image to my reply. Is this what I am looking at.
    CanBeDone: I used FreeCAD to open your STI file. Please explain what I am looking at. as I am at absolute ZERO on learning any CAD system. I do not know how to rotate the drawing to see what I may be looking at.
    However that in it self is a start. Thanks
    That drawing is my version of the tangential toolholder. As I am not happy with it, it has never been built. It should never have been sent - I used it to test the upload of a small stl file. Just ignore it.
    I have in the meantime succeeded in drawing a tangential flycutter. As with the other stl, upload failed, most likely its filesize (6.3MiB) is too big. Thus, we will have to communicate via e-mail. Drop me a line at wv99999 at gmail.com, then I'll send you the file, and the explanations needed to understand it. Here in NZ it is almost midnight now, time for me to go to bed.
    Good night.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I sent you an email using the address provided.

Thanks

drmico60's Tools
    This flycutter may be of interest:
    Tangential tool flycutter - mikesworkshop
    It incorporates some of the feature you want. It uses a tangential tool mounting. It has a backstop to prevent the tool from sliding in the holder. Extra momentum could be obtained by adding a flywheel to the tool shaft. It isa relatively easy to construct. In use it has proved very reliable and a good depth of cut is possible.
    Mike

Thanks
    This is part of my premise of the Flywheel.
    The intent is to start small say 2 or 3 inch radius as the initial intent is for use with a Mini-Mill. and keeping the project within the realms of the Mini-Mill community.
    You are welcome to collaborate in the design concept.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information