Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Universal Marking Gauge

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools

The Universal Marking Gauge

Hello,

Two years ago, I started this project at a friend's request; I thought also that it would be a nice project for my YT channel, but tragically, all the footage were lost due to computer failure, (these are the consequences of not keeping back up), but anyway. So, what I'm about to show you are pictures from the finished parts and their assembly.

Now, my friend asked me to make one of these classic woodworking marking gauges out of brass; so I did a bit of research in order to get an idea of their dimensions and features. Once this was done, I decided that it would be best to use steel instead of brass. I started with a simple drawing and as I went along other ideas were coming as well. But let's look at these one at a time.

The body of the gauge is made from free cutting steel and it is case hardened (Nitriding). Now, the idea of making this tool from steel and to be hardened was not only to serve for marking wood, but for steel as well.

The length of the body measures 50mm, the diameter at the thinnest section is 20mm and at the face is 50 mm. At the periphery of the face there is a flat (it is actually the bottom of the face) which stops the body from rolling.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160674.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160675.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160676.jpg

For the shaft of the gauge I used a stainless steel 8mm in diameter x 70cm long shaft used in pneumatic spearguns; the actual diameter shown by the micrometer was 7.99mm, which was perfect for what I needed it for.

The shaft threaded M4 on both ends, one end accepts the wheel cutter and on the other there is a cross hole 3mm in diameter which accepts a 3mm carbide rod. The total length of the shaft is 235mm.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160678.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160679.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160680.jpg

Now the body of the gauge is a 4 part assembly; the main body, a threaded sleeve that supports the shaft, an outside taper ring and a threaded cup which both act as the handle.

The sleeve is threaded 14x1mm and its bore reamed to 8mm; it’s made from phosphor bronze.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160681.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160682.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160684.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160685.jpg

The outside taper ring is made from Damascus steel and the threaded cup from Calmax steel which has a small hole for a key to tighten it and it’s oxidized to add contrast.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160686.jpg

One of the body’s features is that right beneath the knurled brass thumb screw there is a plastic set screw; by adjusting this screw I can control the friction applied on the shaft (the set screw feature was copied from the well-known Tite-Mark marking gauge).

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160690.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160691.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160699.jpg

Another feature of the gauge is that it can be converted to a compass for marking circles and arcs. This can be done by inserting a carbide pointing tip to the hole that is located on the flat surface at the down end of the round face.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160700.jpg

I also made two brass nuts which both have an M4 set screw secured with Loctite. The short one is for keeping the shaft from slipping out from the body and the longest acts both for locking the carbide marking tip and as a handle when the gauge will be used for marking long lines or circles and arcs.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160703.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160704.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160705.jpg

Although finger tightness on these two offers good grip, I can always use an Allen key for more secure grip.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160706.jpg

Additionally, I made a brass pad (55mm in diameter); this is very handy on marking big circles and arcs. On its center there is a press fit piece of Acetal and since Acetal is a low friction material it will enhance the rotation of the gauge. Also, the base of the pad is lined with rubber for better adhesion on slippery surfaces.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160707.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160708.jpg

Now, I have adjusted the length of the carbide pointing tip so when I will insert it all the way down into the hole and then use it with the brass pad to mark a circle its tip will not leave a mark on the center of the surface.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160709.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160710.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160711.jpg

As for the carbide rods, I have ground two for marking, one at 30 degrees, the other at 45 and the pointing tip at 60 degrees.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160712.jpg

I made a wrench for tightening the cup as well an extra sleeve.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160713.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160714.jpg

The marking range of the gauge is:

Using the wheel cutter, from 1.0 up to 180mm

With the carbide, from 1.0 up to 170mm

Using the gauge as a compass, I can mark effectively from 25 up to 340mm. If the gauge used in conjunction with the brass pad, then it’s from 55 up 340mm.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160719.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160720.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160721.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160722.jpg

Finally I made a case from solid Niangon wood, Wenge and plywood. The lid of the case outside is dressed with black leather.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160723.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160724.jpg

Now, I was so excited with the project and as I'm a bit crazy I made a couple more of these gauges, here are some pictures.

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160725.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160726.jpg

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160727.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160728.jpg

The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160729.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160730.jpg The Universal Marking Gauge-p1160731.jpg
    This is a simple one

Here is a short video to see how it works.

All the best
    Dimitris

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Dimitris Polychronis For This Useful Post:

anthonyget (Sep 11, 2021), baja (Sep 14, 2021), Dimsa (Sep 13, 2021), Frank S (Sep 14, 2021), Home-PC (Sep 13, 2021), Jon (Sep 11, 2021), lassab999 (Sep 14, 2021), luvmygto (Sep 18, 2021), N00b Machinist (Sep 14, 2021), NortonDommi (Sep 15, 2021), nova_robotics (Sep 17, 2021), RetiredFAE (Sep 24, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Sep 13, 2021), sossol (May 3, 2022), Tonyg (Sep 20, 2021), trevor_60_r (Sep 10, 2022), yester145 (Sep 13, 2021)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    I think it important to say that I am one of the very, very fortunate people who own one of Dimitris's marking gauges. I am lucky enough to own a few very special tools that I treasure. However, I can say hand on heart, that is one that I treasure above all others. Why? because it is so exquisitely made that I can hardly bear to use it. Of course that is an insult to the toolmaker. Tools are made to use and be used, so I do. Still, I am not exaggerating when I say that is tool is superb, both in functionality but also in form and finish. Congratulations my friend.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 11, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Sep 13, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you my friend! I'm very happy that you like it; but you must not keep it in the box use it, that's why it is made.

Take care
    Dimitris

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Dimitris Polychronis! We've added your Marking Gauge to our Marking Gauges category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dimitris Polychronis's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 12, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Damned fine looking instrument. May you, indeed, be "Polychronis". Far too many Instagram "influencers," not enough genuine craftsmen. Too much "Hotel Foxtrot" "Pittsburgh" branded crap and not enough fine, accurate, durable, tools on the market.

You read books by the likes of Ron Smith and watch videos by 'ems such as Dimitris and it brings to mind Pirsig's "lectures" about Quality, with a capital "Q".

And what is good, Phaedrus,
    And what is not good...
    Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Not sure where the herd goes from here, but I genuinely hope a course correction is in the cards.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N00b Machinist For This Useful Post:

clarcall (Sep 19, 2021), Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 15, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I would like to add my praise for the tool as well.
    I cringe every time I see someone using a Vernier gage to scratch a mark when I know there are many alternatives.
    This tool fits more than a single category in the marking realm. Plus it is high quality and looks superb very fitting for needing its own protective storage case
    Good job.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 15, 2021)

Thanks

Thank you N00b Machinist (sorry, I don't know your name), your kind words honor me.

Best wishes
    Dimitris

Thanks

Thank you so much for your kind words Frank, I appreciate it and I'm very happy that you like it.

Best regards
    Dimitris

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations Dimitris Polychronis - your Universal Marking Gauge is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This was a very difficult week to win, but this tool is as useful as it is beautiful.

Some more nice picks from this week:

Low Profile Milling Clamps by Raytonian
    Grinding Wheel Dressing Method by Mazay
    Crucible Tongs by bongodrummer
    Lathe Tool Drawers by bongodrummer
    Sawhorses by Frank S
    Magnetic Circle Marker by orioncons36
    Third Hand by skimen ruslan
    Cart with Electric Crane by Kwandotechnic
    Magnetic Welding Ground by orioncons36
    Egg Laying Nest Box by Frank S
    Riving Knife and Dust Cover by Didpoolhall
    Rod Bender by Andrii Pysarenko
    Adjustable Stool by Make Things
    Steering Cylinder Socket by Frank S
    3-Axis 3D Printer by zeplabs
    Mini Tractor Shovel Blade by Andrey Konovalov
    Scribe by skimen ruslan
    Morini Clutch Removal Tools by rendoman

Dimitris Polychronis - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly - this is your 3rd Homemade Tool of the Week win! You join these other 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, Captainleeward, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, morsa, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, kess, LMMasterMariner, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, Mikhandmaker, thehomeengineer, old_toolmaker, celsoari, Bellevue Woodshop, Stevohdee, warsztatOdZera, Mark Presling, and Crusty.

You'll notice the 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week award trophy graphic in your postbit beneath your avatar.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 18, 2021), kngtek (Sep 21, 2021), luvmygto (Sep 18, 2021)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Congratulations Dimitris. That is a hell of an achievement. Hurrah.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 18, 2021)

Thread Information